PDA

View Full Version : Friend "turning pro"

Yobz
12-24-2004, 05:52 PM
One of my friends told me that he decided to turn pro. He has read a couple of books (not sure which ones, he hasnt told me) and won 8k last week at the 5/10 tables on party.
He told me this as he cold-calls 2 on the button with Q7 suited. Realizing his VPIP must be in the 30s or higher, I tried to discourage him.
He continued to tell me that people on party suck as he re-raises my UTG raise with his KJo in MP1.
Nothing I say will make him stop, should I even try? Bad part is, he doesnt have a full time job and plans on using the money he won to pay for school (masters program i think)

Comments?

Editted to make it clearer, my writing sucks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Evan
12-24-2004, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He continued to tell me that people on party suck as he re-raises my UTG raise with his KJo in MP1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, apparently he's right.

the_rookie
12-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I only play micro-limits, and even I know calling two cold with Q7s and raising UTG's bet with KJo is horrible...I'm not sure what type of book offers this advice. /images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe he plays exceptionally well postflop??

Either way, your friend is a fish and will eventually crash and burn, maybe then he'll learn to play winning poker or just quit.

manpower
12-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Ug, these guys are always tough. I've got a few friends who keep sinking $50 deposits into party, but they only play the 5 or 10 dollar single tourneys and net losses are only a few hundred bucks.

Since this guy might actually lose some serious cash, I'd keep trying to get him off it. Show him poker tracker or link him to a thread about variance. Hell, maybe if he won't quit, you should try and steer him towards better playing.

Yobz
12-24-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Since this guy might actually lose some serious cash, I'd keep trying to get him off it. Show him poker tracker or link him to a thread about variance. Hell, maybe if he won't quit, you should try and steer him towards better playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I'm afraid of, but he knows I play online and I'm afraid he might think I'm trying to make him stop because I'm jealous. I recommended SSH and HPFAP to him and he said he would "eventually" read them. He did this a couple of months ago when he read a book on O8 and won 3k in a couple of days. He blew it all within the next week or two, so now he is trying HE.
I'm trying to save him from himself, any more tips?

BusterStacks
12-24-2004, 06:23 PM
I recommend outting him. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Xelent
12-24-2004, 08:00 PM
No friends at the poker table. Just add him to buddy list and sit at his table and help his crash and burn go quicker. When he is in the latter half of a $5K swing, he may realize he needs a secure source of income and either get better or quit.

Joe Tall
12-24-2004, 09:58 PM
he doesnt have a full time job and plans on using the money he won to pay for school (masters program i think)

Tell him to get a school loan, he's going to need one.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Sully
12-24-2004, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He told me this as he cold-calls 2 on the button with Q7 suited. Realizing his VPIP must be in the 30s or higher, I tried to discourage him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm.....do you guys always share your hands at the table? Is this online? Smells sketchy to me.

47outs
12-25-2004, 02:24 AM
These guys are a dime a dozen. He needs to learn the hard way.

As a friend, just be there for him and don't let him get out of control.

outs

lehighguy
12-25-2004, 02:55 AM
Look for a thread I made called "Poker and Suicide" about my friend that got in too deep. If he's playing with winnings its alright. But if he ever starts playing on credit I suggest you do what I never did to my friend but should have, beat the living crap out of him before he gets to in the hole.

GuyOnTilt
12-25-2004, 03:47 AM
I only play micro-limits, and even I know calling two cold with Q7s and raising UTG's bet with KJo is horrible...

Obviously I'm not saying you're wrong, but this line of logic is very poor. I hear and see it all the time and I've never said a thing until now, but it just drives me nuts and I can't stand it anymore! "I don't know very much about [insert topic here], but EVEN I know THAT!" Um, yeah. Think about what you just said (when I say "you" I don't mean this poster in particular) and don't ever say it again, 'cause it freaking drives me nuts hearing people say this! It just shows a lack of logic and thought process to me I guess.

Just had to finally get that out of my system I guess.

GoT

47outs
12-25-2004, 04:48 AM
I did read that actually. That was very unfortunate, an ugly side to the game.
My thoughts are with his family, especially this time of year.

outs

The4Aces
12-25-2004, 04:56 AM
it seems like you guys are colluding.

Scotch78
12-25-2004, 06:20 AM
While your post just gave me a mighty good laugh, the nature of it does obligate me to point out that your statement also suffers some problems. Granted, it's a weak argument to say

[ QUOTE ]
"I don't know very much about [insert topic here], but EVEN I know THAT!"

[/ QUOTE ]

but poor logic is not its weakness. The problem is that an assumption is being supported by authority, but another assumption undermines that authority. Strictly speaking though, this does not violate any laws of formal logic. There is a fallacy of informal logic that could be applied to the argument if the authority was used to back the claim rather than an assumption, but one is still allowed to advance assumptions with with whatever support one likes (or without any), and it's possible to logically derive the claim of your pet peeve from it's assumptions.

Scott

SCfuji
12-25-2004, 06:22 AM
life seems nice when everything is going well. just keep track of everything he 'wins' and make sure that when he takes a nose dive that you are there to pull him away from the table. and stop sharing hands.

MicroBob
12-25-2004, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He did this a couple of months ago when he read a book on O8 and won 3k in a couple of days. He blew it all within the next week or two, so now he is trying HE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like this guy is pretty hopeless anyway and I doubt there is anything you can do.
It also sounds like your friend is a real idiot.

stinkypete
12-25-2004, 09:18 AM
i'm sure that happens all the time. he won't believe he's not a winning player until he loses a LOT of money. there's not much you can do about that.

if he's lucky, you might be able to convince him that he's not as great as he thinks he is after he's lost about $5k of his winnings. i'd wait until he loses some of it back before trying to convince him that he sucks, cuz he won't believe you and will probably just get mad/annoyed with you if you try it now.

Boltsfan1992
12-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Hiya -

All you can give your friend is information - it's up to him to decide what to do with it. It sounds like you are trying to share with him anything that will help him reconsider his choice. Print out this thread.

If he still doesn't listen, ask him what will he do for insurance? How will he fund retirement? It sounds like he won't read much, but copy the section from The Psychology of Poker where Dr. Al writes about poker as a second job instead of a primary job.

If that doesn't work...I don't think anything will.

PB

AviD
12-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Yeah what he said...

BottlesOf
12-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Shut up, fish.

AviD
12-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Hahaha, bs hax FU Alan Ruck! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Beware the blue chip rais0r!

EliteNinja
12-26-2004, 05:32 AM
Tell him he should instead go for Professional Scrabble.

Seriously, this is a difficult situation for yourself. You MUST help him by making him stop before he loses a lot more than his money. He may lose enough to not be able to afford school. That would be the greatest risk.

Do whatever it takes. You don't want this to spiral out of control.