PDA

View Full Version : Question for those that post on 2+2 during work....

Sponger15SB
12-24-2004, 04:14 PM
What do you do for a living?

Uh, I guess if you work from home or play poker for a living, go ahead and post here if you really want to.

edit - Is there anyone here that can play poker at their work? I heard of a guy modding the table graphics to look like a spreadsheet, but that was a long time ago and don't remember which poker board I saw it on.

Non_Comformist
12-24-2004, 04:30 PM
I now play poker but before that I was a Auditor (CPA) for Big Four accounting firm. I would read and post 2-3 times a day whenever I needed a break. There were some days when I was in the office as opposed to at the client's when I would read and post through out the day. I was on salary and ny work was very project oriented where I had a projects to complete and a deadline to complete them. As long as those were met no one much cared.

SuitedSixes
12-24-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm a computer networky guy. I work graveyard so I post on 2+2 and play poker while I work.

Rick Diesel
12-24-2004, 04:41 PM
I am now what non conformist used to be, an auditor for a big four accounting firm. I do exactly what he said he used to do. Get on 2-3 times throughout the day at client's offices, and if I am in the office with nothing to do, then I will be on throughout most of the day.

Non_Comformist
12-24-2004, 04:55 PM
what do you think so far? How long have you worked there?

I was at D

I hated being in the office and working from a cube. I would some times dream about getting up from my desk and running full speed through the window.

whiskeytown
12-24-2004, 05:19 PM
same as him, but I can't play due to firewall controls and a boss that would kick my ass.

I can post, however

RB

Rick Diesel
12-24-2004, 05:22 PM
I am at E&Y. I like it there, because usually I have the freedom to do what I want. Been in the business for almost 5 years, and should be getting promoted to manager in the summer.

CCx
12-24-2004, 05:29 PM
I'm the MIS Manager for a consulting company outside of Philly - I get a fair amount of time to post from when I'm not busy or stuck in meetings (totally different concepts, being busy and being in meetings that is /images/graemlins/grin.gif) - I also am able to play from work under the same circumstances, except for weeks like this one where everyone is on vacation, then I can 4 table in my office for hours /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JustPlayingSmart
12-24-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hated being in the office and working from a cube. I would some times dream about getting up from my desk and running full speed through the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. I started 3 months ago and I can't stand it. I'm just waiting until I have the balls to quit or am forced to quit by the firm. The short estimate is in a month or two, the long 1 day after I was there a year, which allows me to get my CPA license and keep my signon bonus.

Non_Comformist
12-24-2004, 05:36 PM
The independence is probably the coolest thing about the job. It's nice not really having to clear a doctors appointment or something similar with anyone beyond just giving a heads up.

The only thing I really miss and this sounds corny are the guys I worked with. At my office at least guys fit in two catogories. Either they were sarcastic smart asses who were great to work with or total uptight nerds who sucked. The first vastly out numbered the second. The women were generally uptight, always stressed with not much of a sense of humor. None were hot.

One of my best friends made Manager last year. He generally likes it but he is always under the gun. At this point he is focused on making partner and has decided to go the distance. The 404 changes have been unkind to put it lightly.

His office has seen a large amount of people leaving since this summer at the 1-3 years level. How about yours?

Non_Comformist
12-24-2004, 05:41 PM
I would try and quit before you are forced too. Assuming you are going to look for another job it can make a difference.

One thing that made a big difference in how I was treated when I decided to leave is I was very upfront about not really being into the job any more. But I didn't bitch or complain at the client. I had a friend who was a manager and I talked with him about it. I then went to the hear of HR and told her look I'm not really happy here and I would like to give poker a try. I told them in October and stayed until the completion of busy season in March. They respected that.

Rick Diesel
12-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, I have only been with my current firm for over 2 months, as I jumped ship from another firm for the $7,000 signing bonus plus half of my buddy's $5,000 referral bonus, so I am stuck here for at least another 10 months so that I don't have to pay that back.

After I make manager, I will either use my title to secure a controller position or quit to play poker full time. As of now, I am leaning toward the controller route.

It does seem as if everyone is moving from firm to firm now, as the signing bonuses are just too much extra cash to pass up.

Luckily for me, I have a lot of friends at the firm I am at now, so it was an easy transition in. I also notice that there are not too many good looking non-whores there. I am very disappointed in that. However the non-whores that are decent, are generally VERY hot. But again, they are few and far between.

Non_Comformist
12-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Good call with looking to leave now. At your 5th year you are the peak as far as being able to leave for better outside opportunities. Too much further beyond that and many will not be able to afford you.

Poker was an easy decision for me, but I in my first year. Much easier to replaced the 40k salary. It would be tough to go pro after investing 5 years + 4-5years of school to an industry.

Our recruiting was handled by a woman manager which assured that the least attractive female candidate was usually hired. A few exceptions all non-whores.

Without getting anywhere specific how are clients doing with 404? From what I understand some of my office's are still flirting with an AO.