PDA

View Full Version : Super-weak, slightly weak, or just a good read gone awry?

Grisgra
12-24-2004, 02:17 PM
I have 77 in the BB.

UTG+1 open raises. PT stats have him down as a loose-passive-passive, and his PFR% is a piddly 2%, meaning to me he's got AA-JJ or AK.

Button coldcalls, I call.

Flop is A75r. Pretty sweet!

I figure I'll pop the turn -- I check, he bets, button calls, I call.

Turn is a T. I check, Mr. LPP bets, button calls, I raise.

Mr. LPP 3-bets me, button folds.

Well, you know what happens now. I figure that there's only two hands he's doing this with, AA and AK, and AK is a big stretch -- people usually don't 3-bet with TPTK after being checkraised. Especially the more passive types. I just call, and, yeah, river gets checked through.

He flips AK, and I feel stupid for losing two bets. But was my read here really that far off? Was it that nutty to put him on the only hand that beats me given his PFR%?

Okay, now I'll tell you the real story: same as above, but the button CALLED two bets back to him. I read him as a fish that I'm ahead of . . . but I still slow down, really putting the open-raiser on AA.

Scenario #1 (button folds, it's HU): Super-weak, slightly weak, good read gone awry?
Scenario #2 (button calls turn): Super-weak, slightly weak, good read gone awry?

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-24-2004, 02:32 PM
That's what you have reads for, isn't it?

I think you played this fine.

Grisgra
12-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Can't help but give this one *bump* . . .

MAxx
12-26-2004, 02:15 PM
fwiw, i thought it was hard to follow your question.

would it not be better to just post the hand and a descripion of the reads?

Grisgra
12-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Um, I did post the hand. The Converter isn't God, you know /images/graemlins/smile.gif. What's confusing about it?

I flopped a set, super-tight PFR 3-bet the turn, am I super-weak for putting him on aces? That's the heart of it.

tomahawk
12-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Did you consider that someone with that PFR% might like to slowplay aces and kings early position? Don't know if it makes sense, but my instinct here tells me he doesnt have aces because I don't think he'd raise them UTG.

Anyway this is a cap turn for me, and two or three on the river if he doesn't slow down.

Grisgra
12-26-2004, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider that someone with that PFR% might like to slowplay aces and kings early position?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you think he's raising with given his PFR% is 2%, if not AA and KK? Clearly, AK . . . I didn't even think that he might slowplay AA/KK. I suppose it's possible.