PDA

View Full Version : Too weak tight with JJ?

Shorty35
12-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Was this weak tight; or a solid conservative play early on. I decided to play the Jacks for set value from early position. And then didnt bet the flop (mistake?) figuring that I would get unpredictable action from overcards (or worse, and overpair, which seemed very possible). The involvement of the big stack obviously also influenced my thinking.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 (t1600)
CO (t5005)
Button (t690)
SB (t1410)
BB (t1605)
Hero (t1995)
MP1 (t1195)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t120</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls t120, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t90.

Flop: (t405) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t600</font>, Hero folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: t1125

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. CO wins t1125. </font>

stripsqueez
12-24-2004, 10:26 AM
i think this early with those stacks its all good

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Guy F
12-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Don't you just hate these situations? A hand that has the potential to either kill you or double you up (with the right nutty opponent), 2nd round of a tourney, early position.... who has nails left to bite? So much depends on the mood of the table at the time.

At a loose table where several people show no respect for PF raises (at least at this level), playing for a set in EP seems pretty safe. With only 1-2 crazies, though, I have a chance at a decent pot so I'd rather know where I'm at in the hand ASAP. 4x PF raise to discourage the otherwise sane people from hitting a freakish hand, leaving only the crazies and people with legit hands left.

On the flop I'm only worried about QQ, TT, and maybe 77 from the big stack. AA and KK should have reraised PF, unless I've seen someone slow play them before. Everything else I can chase away with a near pot sized bet on the flop. If it's me, I get J7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif calling me and he hits his flush on the turn. But that's just me. I'll immediately know where I'm at, though. Fold to a raise and check the turn if anyone smooth calls. Someone might have AT or a Ax/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, but I'm not going broke finding out.

syka16
12-24-2004, 09:13 PM
don't forget your behind AKs 45/55

mikey checks
12-24-2004, 09:30 PM
I like a call, no overcards or flush I'll lose to a better pair or set.

willperkins
12-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Before I relate how I would play this hand, I want to say that I have only been playing about a year and still have a lot to learn. I will let others flame me if they think I am too weak/tight. I will learn from it and it will make me a better player.

That being said:

Tough situation early in a tourney. I'm not real thrilled with playing JJ from UTG because of the very predicament that you ended up in.

I really don't fault you for playing JJ for set value, however, once someone raises and then someone cold calls the raise, I would fold the jacks.

The blinds are still low in comparison to the size of my stack. I would save my chips for another fight.