PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fish

Toro
12-24-2004, 09:57 AM
No not poker related, talking food here. A new fish market opened and I decided to try the Chilean Sea Bass. It was the best fish I ever tasted. I'm a steak lover and it was better than steak but unfortunately more expensive at $13.95 a pound.

Anyone have this and/or what's your favorite?

beerbandit
12-24-2004, 10:02 AM
fish is good

i havent tried any(i think) exotic fish like this -- most of the time its what we catch -- salmon, steelhead, walleye, perch, bass, northern pike, pan fish

they all are good to me

i was in florida for spring break and went fishing on the ocean -- one of the guys caught a big grouper -- and we had it cooked a few different ways at the local resteraunt and that was really good

cheers

Rushmore
12-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Boy, that sea bass is tough to beat if it's cooked right.

I have really grown fond of grouper, being down here in the F-L-A. It's a delicious, versatile fish.

On the other hand, when I was growing up in New Jersey, we used to pull flounder or fluke out of the river, and it was incredibly tasty.

If you go to the sushi bar, try the saba, which is smoked Spanish mackerel. That's great stuff. Yellowtail's nice too, but it's gotta be super-funky-fresh.

Last, but oh-so-certainly not least, even though it's not technically a fish, I need to nominate our very good friend the fresh water eel (unagi). A freak, a thief, and a pariah in life, a price in death, on my plate.

I got carried away.

tek
12-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Talapia

Phat Mack
12-24-2004, 10:56 AM
7" brookie, cooked in butter w/ a little lemon juice.

sfer
12-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Monkfish

cnfuzzd
12-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Chilean sea bass is neither chilean nor bass. When it was sold as the "toothfish" it wasnt nearly so popular.

When i was a KM for one of the local wannabe restaurants, we had a "catch of the day" which was ironic since missouri is no where near any place that most of the entrees could have been caught and shipped to in 24 hours, but i digress. In addition to having the misleading special, our alcholic owner also specialized in hiring young, stupid, large-breasted hostesses, who often encountered problems with writing out any word with more than 4 letters on our specials board. One day, one particularly bouncy specimen (of hostess, not fish) came back to ask me what our catch was. Without losing sight of the two landmarks, i calmly tell her that we have the "jumbo one-eyed trouser trout with a creamy white sauce to finish it off." She complains about writing all that on the board, but after i insist that the name is a key selling point, she gets to work. Apparently, we made it about an hour and a half into dinner before the GM checked out the board and saw what that i had been attempting to prostitute myself out. Also, after someone explained it to her, that hostess never spoke to me again. Good Times.

peace

john nickle

Lazymeatball
12-24-2004, 12:07 PM
wow, cnfuzzd, you're an ass.
Pretty funny story though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

partygirluk
12-24-2004, 12:19 PM
ThaSaltCracka.

Wake up CALL
12-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Any players from the UK, very profitable and proud. Will often go broke in an attempt to prove how good they really are.

thatpfunk
12-24-2004, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One day, one particularly bouncy specimen (of hostess, not fish) came back to ask me what our catch was. Without losing sight of the two landmarks, i calmly tell her that we have the "jumbo one-eyed trouser trout with a creamy white sauce to finish it off." She complains about writing all that on the board, but after i insist that the name is a key selling point, she gets to work

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT is rad

Toro
12-24-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chilean sea bass is neither chilean nor bass. When it was sold as the "toothfish" it wasnt nearly so popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF I paid $13.95/lb for "toothfish"? But it was good!

CrazyEyez
12-24-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chilean sea bass is neither chilean nor bass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you mocking me (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1408224&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) ?

BottlesOf
12-24-2004, 03:17 PM
I thought we weren't supposed to eat Chilean Sea Bass anymore.

I like Skate, Moi...anything really. Not a big Halibut fan...

offTopic
12-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Grilled: Fresh halibut
Deep-fried: catfish
Pan-fried: Barred surfperch

manpower
12-24-2004, 04:16 PM
We've got world class striper fishing in the bay here. But you're not supposed to eat it because of they've got too much mercury in 'em. WTF kinda [censored] is that man!

That said, striped bass is good eatin' and i know it's boring, but I'm a big salmon fan.

jakethebake
12-24-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Similarly Tilapia used to be called the "slimefish" (seriously) and wasnt nearly as popular either.

jakethebake
12-24-2004, 04:18 PM
i'm going with dolphin (aka mahi mahi).

edtost
12-24-2004, 04:52 PM
monkfish.

Non_Comformist
12-24-2004, 04:56 PM
We get some pretty good salmon here so I will go with that.

ClaytonN
12-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Not exactly a favorite fish, but the best seafood dish I had was a bisque at Pinehurst made with lobster and Appalachian trout.

To this day it is the best meal I have ever had.

emonrad87
12-24-2004, 06:06 PM
For me, it doesn't get much better than self caught salmon smoked in the backyard. Yum. Best part is, we live in the city, so all our neighbors get to smell it when its being smoked too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stripsqueez
12-24-2004, 07:31 PM
atlantic salmon is the best eating fish - my other favourites are snapper and barramundi but they are a bit scarce where you come from

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

offTopic
12-24-2004, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We've got world class striper fishing in the bay here. But you're not supposed to eat it because of they've got too much mercury in 'em. WTF kinda [censored] is that man!

That said, striped bass is good eatin' and i know it's boring, but I'm a big salmon fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Striped bass is delicious, but yeah, they eat a lot of forage fish and a lot of dead stuff, both of which allow them to accumulate mercury.

Pretty soon if you catch a good-sized striper, all you'll be able to use it for is a thermometer. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

realwtf
12-24-2004, 10:38 PM
I like pacific salmon. Best in following order

Sockeye
Pink
Chinook
Coho
Chum the worst of the lot but I will still eat.