PDA

View Full Version : Some SH observations from a newb, and some stupid questions

Cerril
12-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Alright, these might be blindingly obvious but my search skills are apparently in the toilet as well because I couldn't find a nice simple HUSH faq.

I'm a 3/6 ring game player and will be until I'm doing better per 100 than I am right now. I've got a lot of hands and I know I got hit upside the head with variance, but I want confidence and money before I move up.

I also want practice for shorthanded for when I move up though, so I figure what better place than PS clearing my bonus. So here go the observations:

I raise (or it gets raised) UTG and I see it go 5 handed to the flop for two bets (i.e. called around). Coldcalling is still bad in 6 max, right? This is true at 2/4-5/10.

If I don't care about sticking to one limit at Stars, I can find a 50%+ game almost immediately, and fill up with 43%+ games. I can't imagine that these numbers imply too much less than at a full ring. That is, 50% has got to be scary loose.

I'm table hopping all the time. This might be a factor of the time at night I've played at Stars lately, but I find myself playing two or three orbits at a HS SH table and need to close it out because a) the % to the flop has dropped into the 30s or b) the table's 3-handed or less (sometimes 4 with one sitting out, so same deal).

Reads seem easier. It could be because there are fewer players, but it's usually pretty easy finding the aggro guy, or the one who folds every river.

Okay, on to the questions. Basically it's about the major adjustments I need to make in my game -aside- from the common advice about 'play as in a full ring game with the first 4 folding'.

That advice puts me in MP or later which means (outside of some UTG limps) I'm either open-raising or folding. It also means that a lot of hands aren't really playable (small suited connectors, small pairs) except in the blinds. Are there any open-raise MP hands that get tossed in 6-max? Do I add any (see below)?

Defense is more important, but only from possible blind steals. If it's a raise from UTG or UTG+1, or if it's not folded to me, my standards become more reasonable again. SB defense is very similar?

What new hands should I play that aren't really playable in a full ring? 9-low offsuit hands (A9, K9...), what about 8-low offsuit (A8, K8...)? Anything else?

How about reraising standards? If I'm at an ultraloose somewhat aggro table should I be reraising anyone I read as aggro with medium pockets, and any broadway aces? What else should I be throwing in a third bet with (likewise with a cap)?

And back to coldcalling. Do I want to do it any more? I can't see why but I'm new here too. Same limited situations and just laugh at the rest of the table, right?