PDA

View Full Version : Flame me, but interesting none the less - 10/20

na4bart
12-24-2004, 03:03 AM
Game consisted of bad to mediocre players and one excellent player to my immediate left.

Preflop: UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, me with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 bet, EXP calls, CO calls, button calls, all fold to UTG+1 who calls.

At this point I'm not too happy with all these cold callers.

Flop: T /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1 checks, I check also hoping to get in a check raise to thin the field if I can, EXP bets, CO folds, button and UTG+1 call, I raise, EXP 3 bets, button folds, UTG+1 calls, I cap, all call. I'm feeling a lot better at this point. UTG+1 is unreadable and I have EXP on a big suited ace or pair below kings.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG+1 checks, I bet and EXP raises. UTG+1 folds. Even though the pot was quite large, I mucked to the raise. I put EXP on the big suited ace and didn't want to draw to the two outer. He may have had pocket tens, but I just didn't think he would call 3 bets cold preflop with that hand. I've played many hours with this guy and really don't think he was capable of raising with a pair less than kings. Thinking back on the hand I feel I made a huge mistake given the size of the pot by leading into him when the ace came off. Probably should have slowed down and made sure I got to the river. Been eating at me all evening.

What do you guys think?

Clarkmeister
12-25-2004, 12:47 PM
If he's really an excellent player, he's a heck of a lot more likely to have TT or AA than a suited ace, which should be impossible unless it's in this case specifically AhKh.

Nightwish
12-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Based on your description of the opponent, when he calls 3 cold preflop, I'm putting him on precisely three hands: JJ, AK, and possibly AKs. Everything else he'd either cap or fold.

When he bets the flop, it means to me that he has either AhKh or JJ. So when he raises the turn, the only question is whether he's capable of doing it with JJ. If he truly is an excellent player and he knows that you're a thinking opponent who is capable of laying down a hand, the answer is an unequivocal yes. So unfortunately, given the size of the pot, you have to call.

I've had hands like this before, and it always gnaws at you afterwards....

La Brujita
12-25-2004, 07:43 PM
If it is a loose enough game and assuming UTG raiser is going to be in the pot cold calling with TT would be standard for me in a game where there is a strong likelihood of five players seeing the flop.

Not really sure but I would think Ah Kh would me more likely to reraise than TT.

Depending on game nature aren't pocket sixes a real possibility as well?