PDA

View Full Version : 1 game vs 2

09-12-2001, 02:58 PM
I play primarily in 2 games at once, usually 3-6 and 5-10.

Can I increase my win rate by playing in one game with more hand

reading and player style reading or will 2 games hands per hour offset the lack of player reads.

09-12-2001, 04:32 PM
I have played 2 games at once, but I primarily play 1 game at a time. I would prefer to focus on the one game and try to play my best game (which I admit I don't always manage to do.)

I would suggest keeping records if you don't already.

If you feel you can make more per hour by playing 2 games then go for it. I think it is quite possible.

I don't believe though, that when playing 2 games at once you can play your best game at both tables. You will miss things, you occasionally bail on a hand that you could have won because you got a better hand on the other table. You are in general distracted playing on both tables.

I know at times I've pulled up a second table, because I figure, "Hey, I'm playing tight and not too many hands, why not play two tables." I invariable seem to get two "good" hands at the same time on both tables then have to choose to:

1. Play both in a mediocre to poor manner.

2. Dump the one I think has less potential and focus on the other.

All of that being said it comes down to what makes you the most money.

If you play at a 3-6 table and a 5-10 table at the same time and manage to pull down 1BB per hour on both on average then you are getting $16/hour. Playing on the 5-10 alone where you can focus you might be able to get 2BB per hour or $20/hour. If on the other hand you can only pull down 1.5BB per hour on the 5-10 when focusing, then you are getting $1 more by playing the two tables.

Keep records and decide which brings in the most money.

I have aspirations of becoming a great poker player some day and to do this I know I must study, focus on my game, and play my best game every time. I know I can't personally do this playing 2 games at once. We each have different goals though and you should do what helps you attain yours.

09-12-2001, 05:19 PM
I'm adding a feature to my hand history analysis program (www.pokerstat.com) that will give you your standard deviation, hourly win, and also calculate your win rate when you play one table, or when you're playign two tables (and other session statistics, like average session length, etc). That should answer your question VERY accurately. /images/smile.gif

- Tony