suspicious_mind
12-23-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm in the SB holding 88

Button raise
SB re-raise
BB calls
Button calls

Flop Q36 rainbow with 1 heart

I bet, the BB raises it and the button folds, I decide to call.

Turn 9h

I check-call

River 4h

I check-call again and the BB shows AQ

My reasoning during the hand was that he might think he could push me off my hand if I had AK, AJ or a medium PP and be making a move on me or he might think his 77 or whatever was best.

I do feel I'm calling off my money way too much in situations like these against 1 or 2 opponents where I really only have a very small chance of winning.
Anyone feel like giving any advice about this one?

naphand
12-24-2004, 04:35 AM
Sometimes you must do this. stay aware of how often you are gettng played at in these spots, if you feel you are getting pushed off hands then you are going to need to see more SD. you had a valid hand here. Also, bear in mind the board texture, you may find you are getting raised on boards with any-pair-plus-draw or just any draw. These are worth calling down with more frequently. Raggy boards with one high card are typical steal flops, so this is not a terrible time to make a stand though it coould be argued that some kind of re-draw might make paying off more sensible, which when I tend to call down (such as 2nd-pair plus overcard kicker, or 3-card straight with a pair).

These plays will become more profitable with better reads on your opponents, and getting a feel for how the table is playing.