PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up limits during a slump?

Voltron87
12-23-2004, 06:44 PM
For the past while I've been 4 tabling 33s. I went through a bit of a slump, a couple bad beats in big races, sloppy play on the bubble, generally going on autopilot after I start winning.

For example, during a session, if I win 2 of my first batch of 4, I would stretch my legs and just think "ok, another gravy day" and not quite pay 100% attention. It's easy to do this when you have been winning at a level for a while and are 4 tabling.

So after a bunch of crappy bubble decisions (not paying enough attention to stack sizes and missing a couple of easy 3rds for a 65 or 70 advantage) I decided I was going on autopilot and 4 tabling was exacerbating this. I decided to step up limits to the 55s. I have the BR to do this, mind you.

I have read players (Chip Reese I think) talk about moving up limits during a slump, so a loss stings more and so you give 100% of your focus since you're playing for more money.

Good idea. Playing the 55s has improved my bubble decisions and taken me off autopilot.

If anyone has had a similar slump, ie sloppiness and cruising a bit to much, if you have the BR so losing 6 or 7 +level buyins won't kill you, I highly recommend this. You will pay more attention to the big decisions and improve your play.