PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolution... Starting NOW!

x2ski
12-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Before I begin, below is a hand in which I was totally out-played. This represents why I need to make a change, and do so immediately:

Villain was unknown until later in the session (LAG)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (5.66 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB

The above was an eye-opener. In my attempt to become more aggressive, I have become way too aggressive and, as a result, I am paying off more than my fair share of opponents. I mean, given the pre-flop 3-bet, what did I have beat on the flop? JJ? TT? That's about it folks... from my experience, a pre-flop 3-bet (from a rational player) represents AA-JJ (maybe TT-99), AK, and sometimes AQs, given villain's position.

This hand cost me at least 1BB (any thoughts on where it cost me more?).

After 63,544 hands at $3/$6, I am at a paltry 1.10BB/100... Winning? Yes. Winning enough? No. The reason? I believe that I am making mistakes like this at least once every 100 hands.

I am pretty sure that my pre-flop play is solid, but could improve. Post-flop, I'm kinda proud of how I usually squeeze every penny out of my opponents, WHEN I HIT.

It's when my overcards miss the flop, or a flush draw comes on the river (even the turn) with many opponents against my TPTK/set/whatever that I spew chips.

As a result, my New Year's Resolution is as follows:

I am going to stop trying so hard to make money and begin trying to intelligently save at least 1BB/100.

My only fear is that I revert back to weak-tight mode, and would like your input and suggestions on how to avoid this.

For example, against a LAG, how often would you fold TPTK if raised on the river unimproved? Right now, I like to play sheriff, but more often than not it turns out I'm against 2 pair.

I'm beginning to realize that calling a river raise with TPTK usually means 1BB lost, not 1BB won. Am I wrong?

Is my strategy for the New Year flawed in any way? If so, how can it be improved?

Would anyone else care to share example hands of where they (or their opponents) threw at least 1BB down the drain? I am thinking this might help many of us improve our game, but hopefully avoid the lable of TP-P.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Djogolf
12-23-2004, 07:40 PM
IMO..i agree we all want to save bets whenever we can...however, be careful how "general" you are w/ these situations...

In the example given, i'm check/calling the river, (either i'm beat already, by the J, or i'll let villian bluff) villian JUST CALLING my turn bet scares me (w/ a 3 bet on the flop)...

One last thought...Don't forget to look at all of the hands where you "think you are being sheriff", but you are the best...(I can't count how many times I have payed off w/ a set/TPTK when i'm raised by a caller on the river flush/str8/poss. 2 pair card, and i'm still the best)

often times those hands will outweigh the hands where you are paying off the losses...If you eliminate ALL of these situations you MAY (and I STRESS may) be actually losing more.

So I guess what I am saying is DO NOT make this a default play (as i see from many players who play 4 or more table--not sure if this is you or not)

(Example: if you pick up 10BB in the above example, because all of a sudden villian thought his QJ was good, you basically get 8 more free calls, and you are still 2 BB to the good)...anyways, just my thoughts.

GL in '05,
--Golf

CostaRicaBill
12-23-2004, 11:43 PM
I hear what you're saying x2ski, those are tough situations. At first I think I was taking the "don't fold for one bet in a big pot" a little to far, paying off river raises in smallish pots and looking for reasons to call down.