PDA

View Full Version : Set of tens on the bubble, fourth nuts

dtbog
12-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Specific to the bubble - do you fold this on the flop, not wanting to take a risk against the chip leader?

The reason I simply checked before the flop is that I (initially) didn't want to put too much at risk with this hand against the chip leader. Should I have gotten away from this on the turn? (on the flop?) There are three hands that beat me here -- villain's J9, 69, and QQ. Is this worth a battle with the chip leader on the bubble?

I don't like what I did, which was enter the hand planning to preserve my chip position and hold out to the money, only to call on the flop, trap myself on the turn, and bust out. How would you have played this differently?

-DB

Party Poker $20+2 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t2605)</font>
UTG (t1234)
Button (t598)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t3563)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

Turn: (t1200) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t2963 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1105 (All-In).

River: (t6168) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t6168

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ts Td (three of a kind, tens).
SB has Jd 9h (straight, queen high).
Outcome: SB wins t6168. </font>

El Maximo
12-23-2004, 05:50 PM
I want to push this preflop. Not sure if this is too aggressive with such a small stack still hanging around.

Falker11
12-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Him just completing the small blind is a sign of weakness. I say bet pot and try to take it down right there. If he calls its not so bad because you have position in the hand, and a pretty good holding.
Falker

curtains
12-24-2004, 03:28 AM
I'd move allin preflop. It's extremely rare for him to have JJ-AA here, and you will win the blinds 90+% of the time IMO.
Playing it safe by not raising in spots like these, can sometimes end up in disaster too. It's not as though you are now safe from elimination. Even if he's slowplaying something like AA-JJ and you escaped his trap by checking, what are you going to do on a 953 flop?
Raising to something like 1000 and leaving yourself with 1600 in chips is very dangerous because he simply might convince himself to call for another 700, and you really don't want that to happen, because if he outflops you, it's very difficult to avoid going broke (ie flop of J52 and he has KJ - what are you going to do when he checks).