PDA

View Full Version : How to increase bankroll?

iNsChris
12-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Just wondering what people would do in my situation!

I put in $9 and now im down to $8 (bad beats.. dam).

Went to $4 before but got it back to 11 and recently have been having loads of bad luck.

so i wondered how you guys would get your bankroll up in my position?

Im playing 0.02/4's and 5/10s right now, anyhow what would you do? Would you plauy hihgher stakes risk loosing it all? Or what?

Reading ITH, Just coming up to the hands and how he recommends playing full huse, tok, 2pair, overcard etc.

Thanks - look forward to hearing opinions!
Chris. <font color="orange"> </font>

the_rookie
12-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey Chris -

There are sites out there that will give you free money to start out with. I know of 4, Royal Vegas POker, 7 Sultans poker, Pacific poker, and tropics poker. Their lowest limits are 0.05-0.10 which is cool since they start you off with ten bucks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I started with 10 from pacific poker and built up to 54 right now. Their micro limit games are very beatable...

That could help get you on your way to a bigger bankroll.

AKQJ10
12-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I suggest you play .02/.04 until you're (LONG TERM!) up some 200-300 big bets (+$8 to +$12). Then you'll (1) have an adequate bankroll for .05-.10 without putting anything additional in, and (2) you'll know you can beat 2 cent/4 cent which should give you confidence to ride out some bad beats at your new level.

Of course, I'm guessing you have sufficient discretionary cash that this isn't really your last $8 of poker bankroll. If that's the case then feel free to move up sooner, once you're confident you can beat .02/.04. But you seem to want to build up this particular bankroll, and you probably know enough to beat .02/.04 just based on starting hand selection, so go out and beat it. Don't mess with .05/.10 until you have a $30 bankroll.

Also check out this oldie-but-goodie: http://www.kingscascade.com/Step_by_Step.html . This has provided me much inspiration that building up a bankroll is possible!

deception5
12-23-2004, 05:25 PM
I started in a similar situation as you, with $20 at Pacific and followed the strategy laid out by Mangatang. What he recommends is playing at a limit until you reach 300 big bets at the next limit and then moving up. So in my case I stayed at .05/.10 until I reach $60 and then moved up to .10/.20. At $150 up to .25/.50. At any point if you fall below 200 big bets at your current level you drop down to the previous limit and work your way back up.

Also I'm not familiar with Internet Texas Hold'em, I hope it recommends starting hands? If you see every flop you are guaranteed to lose over time, so make sure you follow some sort of starting hands guide.

Here's his link btw:
Low Limit Poker Strategy (http://www.kingscascade.com/OnLine.html)

Following this strategy, with your bankroll I would stay at .02/.04 until you are up to $30 and then move up to .05/.10. Whenever you play above your bankroll you risk going broke even if you play perfectly.

Hope this helps!
D5

iNsChris
12-23-2004, 05:46 PM
yeh, I'm awaiting the completion of affiliate deal for another poker skin.

However for uk Poker i wanted to get my bankroll up, I hate giving up and most of all i hate loosing! So i wanted to make sure my BR didn't just die out. However its like a up hill struggle to get my $19bucks back!

I don't realistically think ill acomplish it at this rate.

I'm at $8.75 right now, Think i shall go into a 2/4 game now and see what i can get it up to or loose it lol.

Just wondered if there were any strategys you had.

It wont be my last $10 no, and the affiliate scheme which i have been offered will keep me playing and should get me to a good skill level!

But i just dont want to loose this money i currently have.

2/4 is suprisingly difficult to get anything from, 5/10 when im lucky i get good hands etc... and not bad beats i get up like $1+ on 2/4 i may get up to 80cents... maybe 1.50 after few hrs lol.

It seems no one cares i hear them say "Ahh its only pennys so ill risk the river for a flush.."

Where as for me its more serious than that... 5/10 seems to be more riskfree.. People play good ahnds.

Maybe i should try 10/20... If i loose it i loose it. But if i win atleast my BR would shoot up back to what i started with&gt;

started with 19, Dropped to 4, Got to 11, Back to 8.75 now.

Thanks,
chris.

the_rookie
12-23-2004, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe i should try 10/20... If I loose it I loose it. But if i win atleast my BR would shoot up back to what i started with&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, why would your affiliate fund your account with another 20 bucks? Since that's the case I dont's see a problem with you taking a shot at 0.10/0.20, it's free money anyways. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

cockandbull
12-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Have you read homers bankroll building post in the internet forum?

iNsChris
12-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Not sure if i had read it, Got the link ? Does he start with a $10 BR lol???

My Affiliate is giving me money for PartyPoker tables, Not UK Poker.

Thanks,
Chris.
p.s. Its free money yeh, But i'm going be dam carefull with it and treat it like its my own.

AKQJ10
12-24-2004, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2/4 is suprisingly difficult to get anything from....

It seems no one cares i hear them say "Ahh its only pennys so ill risk the river for a flush.."

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that this casual play works to your advantage in the long run, right? Granted, you probably need to make a few adjustments to take optimal advantage -- but every incorrect play your opponent makes only makes the game more profitable.

Not that calling to see the river on a strong flush draw is usually incorrect, of course....

Hoss1193
12-24-2004, 04:07 AM
I know from other threads that you're reading some quality poker manuals (e.g., SSHE), that you have at least a basic understanding of tight play (although I don't know about your aggression level), and that you've been playing a relatively short time. From those data points, I make the following assumption; that, despite the short time duration, your play today is significantly better than it was just a few weeks ago. After all, you went down to $4 and fought back up to $11. Given all this, my recommendation:

IF you're currently winning at a clip of more than 1-2BB/100, I would just kick in another $50 and begin playing at .25/.50. In fact, if you're just breaking even, I would still do that. After all, if you're breaking even, you're still managing not to lose money to the blinds and rake, and thus are "winning" a bit.

That's what I did, and I have never had to rebuy, not once.
Probably not what you're looking for, but you asked what I would do.

cockandbull
12-24-2004, 09:54 AM
i'm not sure how to link things so, if you use the search function. look for a post by homer on 9/25/04 called building a bankroll (for newbies)

David04
12-24-2004, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,
Chris.
p.s. Its free money yeh, But i'm going be dam carefull with it and treat it like its my own.

[/ QUOTE ]
$10 at Party Poker will not get you very far...that's like 10 BB for limit or 1/2 a buyin at a NL table.

deacsoft
12-24-2004, 04:07 PM
homer's thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1060198&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;fpart=&amp;vc=1)

iNsChris
12-24-2004, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,
Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]
$10 at Party Poker will not get you very far...that's like 10 BB for limit or 1/2 a buyin at a NL table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Affiliate is giving me $50 which is 100BB?

- Thanks for link deac.

Happy xmas all,
Chris.