PDA

View Full Version : Turning Pro

critterdude
12-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Hey guys I figured I'd sneak a holiday post in. I posted earlier about turning pro and received good feedback from the Zoo population on it.

This post is an observation on making tough decisions and what "The Gut" is telling you to do. Many decisions are ABC but critical decisions that are close will not be. Since there isn't time to fully analyze these decisions to the fullest extent in the heat of battle "The Gut" can be what ends up making your decision.

My experience on "The Gut" is that the more experience it gets the more accurate it is. It is true that in the heat of battle you can't always analyze the entire math vs. all variables such as image, reads, etc. You can after the session is over.

By analyzing all of the information after the session you are preparing your "Gut" for similar occurrences in the future. When you don't have the time to process all of the information that goes into the decision your sub-conscious (Gut) can based on past experience.

I have literally spent hours on a hand after the session. A couple of 2+2ers that play occasional sessions with me and also openly discuss strategy for improving our game can tell you that I can carry on till I've exhausted every angle.

To me this is the same as an athlete that trains and practices so they are as prepared for success as they can be.

Well I'm rambling a bit but it is my belief that when pro players talk about "The Gut" or "The feel" for the game it is not something like IQ that they are born with. I believe it is a skill that can be strengthened over time with practice.

So my theory is this, "The Gut" decision will never be 100% correct but the more it is practiced and taught the higher percentage of time it will be.

Discussion? Thoughts?

TT

morgant
12-23-2004, 05:22 PM
what does this have to do with 'turning pro' ?

as for the gut feelings, sure, is he raising his flush draw, etc...all things that as you play more, you can sense with more accuracy. it is being able to assimilate all the different variables or pieces of information you can gather while at the table, before, during, and after a hand has taken place.

i dont think this can be taught, and it is a skill that is sharpened with experience. i do, however, find it to be very advantageous to try to slow down a bit on the tables, and think before clicking the action buttons. i sometimes find myself just auto clicking, and many missed or given up bets happen this way. I am pretty confident i am not alone on this.

RollaJ
12-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Gut means a hell of a lot at NL, in limit not even close to as much. It is certainly something that develops along with your other skills.
You also learn to trust your gut.... This past weekend a guy raised to $15 UTG in 2-5 NL, 2 callers I make it 45 with KK he makes it 80, the others fold I think and call even though I didnt like it.
Flop J-9-3 rainbow

He goes all in for $130..... I thought and thought.... about 2 minutes and finally folded. He showed Aces! It is the first time I played KK that way, but I was that sure.
Every other time Ive had that gut feeling Id call anyway, but hey Im still learning the game
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

critterdude
12-24-2004, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what does this have to do with 'turning pro' ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great question and when I started typing the post making that connection was the main point. Well I'll make it now.

I hear a lot of poker pros talk about "their gut" or "feel" as an intagible that can't be explained. It is talked about similar to the way some super star athletes have "God given ability."

The super star athletes like Bird, Jordan, Payton constantly sharpened their ability and it grew because of it. If they have no work ethic or don't dedicate themselves to strengthening their skill they would never have made the same accomplishments.

My point is that a true pro that wants to reach his potential will practice his skill of reading and feel for the game off the poker table. I believe this is/will be a key to my succeeding as a pro.

The reason players here in the zoo may really want to discuss this is that this skill is not needed to play 6 3$-6$ tables on Party. However live, big tourney and NL players do.