PDA

View Full Version : I'm very bummed out

JeffO
12-23-2004, 02:38 PM
I went to work this morning. Logged on to twoplustwo, just like I have every day for the past 1 1/2 years. And a page popped up explaining my companys policy on internet use. They have BLOCKED twoplustwo.

What the hell am I going to do for 8 hours a day now? This may speed up my decision to go pro. Hell I already make way more money in my "spare" time playing poker then I do at my 9-5.

jakethebake
12-23-2004, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to work this morning. Logged on to twoplustwo, just like I have every day for the past 1 1/2 years. And a page popped up explaining my companys policy on internet use. They have BLOCKED twoplustwo.

What the hell am I going to do for 8 hours a day now? This may speed up my decision to go pro. Hell I already make way more money in my "spare" time playing poker then I do at my 9-5.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you immediately picked up and drove home to post this? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JeffO
12-23-2004, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So you immediately picked up and drove home to post this? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I was very upset. I wonder how this software works. How it knows twoplustwo is associated with gambling. It wasn't only twoplustwo it was any site associated with gambling or sex. Damn them.

daryn
12-23-2004, 02:49 PM
damn it. do your damn work at work.

they should block all non-work related websites from all work!

ThaSaltCracka
12-23-2004, 02:55 PM
no they shouldn't.

daryn
12-23-2004, 02:57 PM
no wonder this country is going to sh[/b]it.

ThaSaltCracka
12-23-2004, 03:00 PM
no, no, no, that is because of outsourcing.

anyways, why is the guy who doesn't have a job, telling us how to behave at work?

daryn
12-23-2004, 03:04 PM
so you have to have a job to be in a position to make a statement about the way things should be at a job?

come on cracka i expect better from you.

i'm just saying i can picture all across the country, people who are supposed to be working are all addicted to the internet. i mean, i know how it is. when i get started on 2+2 i just keep checking threads and posting etc.

the difference is i'm just at my house, you guys are at work where someone is paying you to do a job, not to look at your favorite websites.

i mean any intelligent person can see that it's wrong. if i was at a job with easy access to a computer, i would probably surf too, i'm just saying.. it's wrong.

nolanfan34
12-23-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why is the guy who doesn't have a job, telling us how to behave at work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wacki
12-23-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, no, no, that is because of outsourcing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of like we outsourced our cars to Japan?

I love America, but I've heard way too many stories about American car companies vs. Toyota factories to doubt we need a good swift kick in the butt.

jakethebake
12-23-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why is the guy who doesn't have a job, telling us how to behave at work?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the same thing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe we should all tell him how to be a slacker...errrr I mean student. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nolanfan34
12-23-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i mean any intelligent person can see that it's wrong. if i was at a job with easy access to a computer, i would probably surf too, i'm just saying.. it's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you're admitting that you'd likely do the same. I get your point, I guess I don't feel guilty about it since it doesn't affect my job performance. Beginning next month, when my job gets very busy for about 4 or 5 months, I probably won't be checking this site during the day much, if at all.

wacki
12-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Daryn has a job, he's self employed. And from what I hear, he's damn good at it too.

ThaSaltCracka
12-23-2004, 03:11 PM
well let me just start by saying you are right.

However, since you don't work 40 hrs a week at a job(poker doesn't count in this discussion), you really don't understand how boring it is. I would probably quit my job if they didn't have internet here.

daryn
12-23-2004, 03:12 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
well let me just start by saying you are right.

However, since you don't work 40 hrs a week at a job(poker doesn't count in this discussion), you really don't understand how boring it is. I would probably quit my job if they didn't have internet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, this is really all i was looking for. i totally understand how boring jobs are, i have worked in the past you know. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-23-2004, 03:15 PM
yeah, work sucks a lot.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-23-2004, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, work sucks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i didnt randomly stumble upon poker and make it my career, im not sure i would have made it this far in life (w/o becoming a pro criminal). Im just too damn lazy...

dr. klopek
12-23-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
damn it. do your damn work at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, people have no trouble finding ways out of working at work. At least let it be productive.

wayabvpar
12-23-2004, 05:40 PM
When I have work to do, it gets done. When I have some down time, I surf. I wouldn't have any problem with it if I were a business owner; if everything is done right and on time, who cares?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-23-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I have work to do, it gets done. When I have some down time, I surf. I wouldn't have any problem with it if I were a business owner; if everything is done right and on time, who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

exACTly.

I had a job once where at the end of the day, when all was done, i had to WAIT 15 MINS BEFORE LEAVING!!!!!

there was NOTHING LEFT TO DO AND THEY MADE ME WAIT TO LEAVE.

W T F

dtbog
12-23-2004, 05:46 PM
http://www.anonymizer.com

This might work. I've used it to get around firewalls before, but now they want to sell the service. The idea is that you're actually retrieving pages through http://www.anonymizer.com, which in turn retrieves them from whichever host you choose (beachbabes.com, twoplustwo, whatever.)

Hope that helps!
-DB

brassnuts
12-23-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so you have to have a job to be in a position to make a statement about the way things should be at a job?

come on cracka i expect better from you.

i'm just saying i can picture all across the country, people who are supposed to be working are all addicted to the internet. i mean, i know how it is. when i get started on 2+2 i just keep checking threads and posting etc.

the difference is i'm just at my house, you guys are at work where someone is paying you to do a job, not to look at your favorite websites.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really job dependant. Some jobs require lots of hours sitting around waiting for something to do. In a case like this, I don't see any reason shouldn't be allowed to surf the internet in the meantime.

GuyOnTilt
12-23-2004, 06:12 PM
if i didnt randomly stumble upon poker and make it my career...

Aren't you like 17 living with your parents and don't own a TV?

GoT

Sponger15SB
12-23-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

In an unrelated note the other day in school my teacher forgot to assign homework so I reminded him.

ThaSaltCracka
12-23-2004, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

In an unrelated note the other day in school my teacher forgot to assign homework so I reminded him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger, I think you are finally learning how to be funny, well played.

LondonBroil
12-23-2004, 06:23 PM
MegaProxy (http://www.megaproxy.com)

This should get you around any of those annoying filters. You can try it out for free for awhile but then you have to pay for it. It's cheap though at only $9.95 for 3 months. Just hope that your company doesn't block the MegaProxy site or your screwed.

tolbiny
12-23-2004, 07:22 PM
"i mean any intelligent person can see that it's wrong."

Well, chalk me up in the other column then. As long as your work performance is fine, then there is no reason not to allow little "perks" like this at work. In fact studies have shown that allowing people to take short breaks druing the day/ take short naps after lunch- enjoy a few more personal things around the office increases productivity. The human brain wasn't designed to focus on one particular thing all day, every day (which is what a lot of people's jobs are).
Now if an individual abuses the privelidge, then they lose it for a period of time. If they continiue to they get fired.

Bob Moss
12-23-2004, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i didnt randomly stumble upon poker and make it my career...

Aren't you like 17 living with your parents and don't own a TV?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this true of eveyrone on here?

Bob

JeffO
12-23-2004, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MegaProxy (http://www.megaproxy.com)

This should get you around any of those annoying filters. You can try it out for free for awhile but then you have to pay for it. It's cheap though at only $9.95 for 3 months. Just hope that your company doesn't block the MegaProxy site or your screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the site. However I am not a computer geek and half of what I read went right over my head.

One question. I'm connected to a network of co workers, does this product hide the sites you visit from the network administrator?

bdk3clash
12-23-2004, 08:07 PM
You could use VNC and remotely control your home PC from work (if you can connect to it.)

The once and future king
12-23-2004, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, work sucks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why they pay you to do it.

ThaSaltCracka
12-23-2004, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, work sucks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why they pay you to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, LOL, they pay me to surf.

It kills my arms too!!!!!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

mike l.
12-24-2004, 03:26 AM
anyone else click on this thread hoping it would be about anal sex?

thatpfunk
12-24-2004, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, this is why your contribution to the OOT forum is much more important than the high limit forum. Just amazing work.

Sponger15SB
12-24-2004, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, this is why your contribution to the OOT forum is much more important than the high limit forum. Just amazing work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.

Posts like that are the reason why I like OOT so much. You just never know what you're gonna find when you click on a thread sometimes.

Sponger15SB
12-24-2004, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Sponger, I think you are finally learning how to be funny, well played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I'm like the retarded guy on your basketball team that when he finally scores after 20 minutes of turnovers and airballs the whole team feels the need to congratulate him for his swish like he had hit the game winner in the 7th game of the NBA finals.

Thanks Salty /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
12-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Well, chalk me up in the other column then.

[/ QUOTE ]

way ahead of you, boss.

if you have a lot of down time that's one thing, but NO DOUBT there are people who abuse the computers they work on and get way less done than they would w/out access to their favorite website.

brassnuts
12-24-2004, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you have a lot of down time that's one thing, but NO DOUBT there are people who abuse the computers they work on and get way less done than they would w/out access to their favorite website.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe in controlling the masses just to keep the weakest link in check.

spamuell
12-24-2004, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably quit my job if they didn't have internet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually did quit a job like 3 months ago because my monitor was positioned in such a way that anyone walking down the hall could see what I was doing. I don't regret it, but then I did manage to find a better paying job somewhere else within a week, which was pretty lucky I suppose.

liquidboss
12-24-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My work blocks www.twoplustwo.com (http://www.twoplustwo.com) but if I go to forumserver.twoplustwo.com I have no problems. There were a few days before I thought of it I was cursing business securities but I seem to have outsmarted them. heh If you haven't tried that route it's a good idea before you pay a proxy.

On another note, about a week ago they blocked all video game sites so I can't go to www.ign.com (http://www.ign.com) but can go to vnboards.ign.com.

JeffO
12-24-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My work blocks www.twoplustwo.com (http://www.twoplustwo.com) but if I go to forumserver.twoplustwo.com I have no problems. There were a few days before I thought of it I was cursing business securities but I seem to have outsmarted them. heh If you haven't tried that route it's a good idea before you pay a proxy.

On another note, about a week ago they blocked all video game sites so I can't go to www.ign.com (http://www.ign.com) but can go to vnboards.ign.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just type in www.forumserver.twoplustwo.com (http://www.forumserver.twoplustwo.com) ???

SuitedSixes
12-24-2004, 04:38 PM
2nd vote for VNC. That's how I'm able to play on Party while I "work."

ThaSaltCracka
12-24-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

way ahead of you, boss.

[/ QUOTE ] dude, so what??

daryn
12-24-2004, 07:55 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

way ahead of you, boss.

[/ QUOTE ] dude, so what??

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you say. i mean i don't care personally, but i probably would if i ran the company.

ThaSaltCracka
12-24-2004, 08:19 PM
yeah, me too, but I don't run a company, so I don;t care at all. I consider it fair because they pay you [censored].