PDA

View Full Version : To agressive? Just right?

groovy8
12-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Villain is tight-agressive (14 VP, 8PFR, 2AF in 280 hands). I think I probably overplayed this a bit, but it's close I think. Opinions?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

cpk
12-23-2004, 02:23 PM
I think I probably overplayed this a bit, but it's close I think.

A bit? If he really is tight-aggressive you should check the turn and see if he will lead into you on the river with a worse hand or a missed draw. If you are sane you will check the river down unless a 9 comes, anyway. Your hand is weak, and there's no one else to protect your hand from--seeing the showdown cheaply should be your goal.

groovy8
12-23-2004, 02:29 PM
But I'm out of position. A check-raise on the flop followed by checking
the turn would scream semi-bluff and he'd almost automatically bet into me.

My thinking was to use the check-raise to see if he has a hand and bet
the turn to either give him a chance to raise or fold. If he calls, I'm
check-folding the river.

Have I just gone kooky here?

billyjex
12-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Fairly aggressive play. I think it's more than likely he liked that flop. I might just check/fold the flop against a TAG raiser given two overcards.

That being said, with this line I like your bet on the turn. That K either helped him alot or scared the hell out of him. If he raises you, it's an easy fold. You might get him off a higher pocket on the turn or fold AQ, A10.

But, yeah, I'd fold this flop with this bad position.

groovy8
12-23-2004, 03:09 PM
... villain folds.

In retrospect, I think this was a bad play with two broadway cards on the
flop. With none or one, I still like it. And I'm fairly sure the turn K saved
my butt /images/graemlins/cool.gif

27offsooot
12-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Glad the hand worked out... I would be more apt to try the c-r flop, lead turn with one or no paint cards flopping. Then again, a TAG is not going to open-limp from MP2 hardly ever, so he could have just about any playable hand which makes this play alright. I also don't know that u want to try this when it's HU, other limpers and only one over card and the c-r is a great move. You will likely lose more than u gain HU. As u played it, i don't know that i would check-fold the river if he called the turn. I would check-call. I could see him possibly chasing a gutter (AQ, A10) and bluffing at u on the river. Leading the river will only be called by better hands and u can give him a chance to bluff a busted draw.

private joker
12-23-2004, 04:02 PM
This hand is almost totally identical to the one (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=smallholdem&amp;Number=1428411 &amp;Forum=f3&amp;Words=AQo&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=142 8411&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=&amp;daterange=1&amp;n ewerval=1&amp;newertype=w&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodypre v=#Post1428411) I posted a few days ago. The only difference is that my flop was less likely to have hit the PF raiser.