PDA

View Full Version : I hate the way I played this

maddo
12-23-2004, 02:04 PM
I hate how I played this:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1195)
Hero (t1200)
UTG+1 (t2820)
MP1 (t1245)
MP2 (t1455)
CO (t2915)
Button (t1290)
SB (t1380)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t30, CO folds, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t180) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t30</font>, MP2 calls t30, Button folds, SB calls t30, BB calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, MP2 folds, SB folds, BB calls t30.

Turn: (t420) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: (t420) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t210</font>, UTG+1 folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: t630

How do you play a flopped boat like this to get the maximum chips? Obviously it depends on what hands the other players hold - if someone has a 5 then I guess you could be well paid. Anyway, I guess my min check raise should have been left until the turn? I can't be too unhappy as it's a nice pot to win anyway, but surely I have to get more? I guess it illustrates how being out of position can be such a disadvantage - you're hoping someone will do the betting for you. How do you play this hand?

Cheers.

UMTerp
12-23-2004, 02:13 PM
With a flush draw on the flop and a lot of players in the hand, I tend to lead out about half the pot and see what develops. WIth a rainbow flop, I'd check it through and hope someone catches up.

pooh74
12-23-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With a flush draw on the flop and a lot of players in the hand, I tend to lead out about half the pot and see what develops. WIth a rainbow flop, I'd check it through and hope someone catches up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you lead out w/ a half pot bet w/ a flopped boat? I would want to give proper pot odds to allow someone to hit the flush. Anyone who plays well won't call a 50% pot bet with a 44% chance of hitting their hand...especially with a pair on board (iow, possibly drawing dead). Ill give proper odds or not bet at all.

In response to the poster...I think you played this fine...You just have to realize that sometimes no one catches anything and be happy you take it down. I like the miniraise bc it shows that you are possibly bluffing and trying to steal the pot...it invokes strength sometimes in the original bettor which is what you want here so you can bust him. He might think "he's miniraising with nothing, Ill show him and go over the top" boom...just didnt happen this time...but good play IMO...

UMTerp
12-23-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you lead out w/ a half pot bet w/ a flopped boat? I would want to give proper pot odds to allow someone to hit the flush. Anyone who plays well won't call a 50% pot bet with a 44% chance of hitting their hand...especially with a pair on board (iow, possibly drawing dead). Ill give proper odds or not bet at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, if you bet 50% of the pot, they're getting 3:1 to call. That's plenty good odds to draw to a flush.

pooh74
12-23-2004, 03:40 PM
bc i wasnt counting your bet? ok, fair enough, my bad. Also, add in implied odds and it might be worth their while...add in bad play and people call all ins on flush draws all the time...

Hey terp...answer my PM when u get a chance...im really curious of your opinion.

reecelights
12-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Bet 30 on the turn. I think on of them calls thinking you're weak and stealing. This gives them the opportunity to call or bluff. If they fold it's no different than their folding when you make your apparent flush on the river. Bet small (1/4 pot) on the river hoping to check or reraised. If someone bet at me that way I would assume they had an 8.

It's too bad neither of them caught a flush.

UMTerp
12-23-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey terp...answer my PM when u get a chance...im really curious of your opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done. I didn't even know I had any PM's. Is there a way to tell you have them without going to "My Home"??

ddubois
12-23-2004, 05:31 PM
There will be a little mail icon next to "Welcome &lt;your name&gt;" near the top of the page.

Irieguy
12-23-2004, 06:03 PM
I like UMTerp's line. Almost nobody bets out with a made hand here... so that's exactly what I'd do.

Irieguy

Sluss
12-23-2004, 06:24 PM
I like leading out when there is a loose player that will probably call. That way you can keep leading out half the pot and keep getting a chaser. This also pays off great when the observent TAG lays down to half pot bluff when bubble time arrives.

As for the poster I would say bet something on the turn. Not a monster bet maybe just 1/4 of the pot or something that looks like a weak steal and can keep building the pot. That's your best hope because it seems like noone has anything and you look like you have the nuts.

Strollen
12-23-2004, 06:46 PM
The only think I don't like about your play is your min check raise, on the flop. Either smooth call it, followed by a 1/3 or 1/2 size pot bet on the turn, or really reraise it to 120 or 150. I think odds are good that UTG and BB would have called an additional 90 or 120 chips with 300+ pot. Check raising 30 gives away to much information for another 60 chip.s

I think the check is fine on the turn, cause you want to give the poor fish the most bait before reeling them in.

tiger7210
12-23-2004, 08:33 PM
You definitely shouldn't have check raised the flop here. You had plenty of action and ceratinly want to give the flush draws a chance to make their hand. Check raising the flop also may drive out the callers who may simply be chasing with just 2 overcards. The K hitting on the turn may have helped someone you pushed out and by checkraising the flop, most decent players without a big pair (unlikely in an unraised pot) or the 5 will give up their hand.

You really don't want to make your move until the river where you could have got a lot of chips from someone who could have made their flush on the end. Obviously this is an easier hand to play in postion, but you want to disguise your hand as much as possible by not showing any strength until the end where somone may have made 2nd best hand. A flopped boat will be tough for anyone to catch you with and is worth the risk of keeping as many opponents in the hand as possible.