PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Game Last Night

Kevin
12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
I played in my regular home game last night. We get together about every other month 7 guys all 30-50 and we buy in for $200 each. We play a lot of stud, stud hi/lo, some games like 7/27, 2/22, 3/33, and 5 stud in the 1/3/1 format. Last night, one of the guys introduced a crisscross high low game. The community cards are put on the table like an X, the center card is turned last and the cards are turned one at a time. You can use the rows of two or rows of 3 across the middle. It was a very action heavy game because the best 5 cards won - whether it was the 5 in your hand (so if you had a nut low big hand dealt (5 cards dealt), you were pumping the pot right away while people were waiting for the last card. Counterfeiting happened so often, etc.

Anyway, It started out with a few second place hands. I was quickly down $150 (it is 1-5 anytime 3 raise, we don't checkraise (host rules)). It turned pretty well for me and I ended up $350 for the night.

One dude who plays a lot of hands and very aggressively went on one of the biggest tilt sessions that I had ever seen. He took some money off of me early but is definitely a loose aggressive player. We were playing the game I talked about above and he had 666104 in his hand. He was pushing it hard. long story short, all 4 of the 7's and a 3 hit the board - including the 7 in the middle card. After pumping the pot the whole time, he was beat 2 ways, one guy with AA in his hand and another guy with JJ. I was surprised that he didn't go for the low given the late action, but whatever.

He then goes on a tilt streak where he loses his initial $200 and goes in for $400 more. About 1 am, he cashes out the $30 he has left and writes the host a check for $370 - for a $570 loss in 5 hours of a 1-5 home game.

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Dave the tilter seems to be solvent - I mean, I don't think he was gambling with the mortgage money, but who knows. Ron, the host was pretty leery the last time he asked for more chips (he asked for them in $100 increments). We have never seen anyone stuck more than about $300 in the game before.

What is the proper response in a situation like this? I mean, he is in the hand and pushing it, so If I have the goods, I am going to push back (or anything marginal as at the end he was pushing any hand trying to buy a pot" Does someone say, "Dave, maybe it's just not your night?"

I felt bad for the guy, however, I was the recepient to much of his tiltiness for the evening.

Later,
Kevin

TenPercenter
12-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Go ahead and feel sorry for the guy, but take his money at the same time. This is poker, and it's not up to you to make sure he doesn't lose too much.

Ten

grandgnu
12-23-2004, 01:47 PM
This is why I host only tournaments at my house. There's none of that reaching back into your wallet or writing a check crap going on. You know the fixed amount you stand to lose should you play, and that's that.

Makes life much easier.

TenPercenter
12-23-2004, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is why I host only tournaments at my house. There's none of that reaching back into your wallet or writing a check crap going on. You know the fixed amount you stand to lose should you play, and that's that.

Makes life much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like cash games, but it's hard to get them anymore. All any one wants to play is tournaments. In fact, a lot of the new players can't grasp cash/ring games. They've never played anything but NL tournaments, or seen them on TV.

Ten

wingsfan
12-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Side note: I've only ever played tourneys, but I really want to play a cash game now. After thinking about some of the differences between the two, I think people would enjoy a cash game better than a tourney anyway, even the newbies. For one, you don't have to wait around two hours for a new tourney to start if you go out first. For another, the blinds never raise, so you can dole your money out a lot slower if you so choose. So me and one of the other regulars have been really trying to convert our regular tourney to a cash game. We're hitting a pretty good amount of resistance. People are afraid to play anything they don't already know. We try telling them it's the same game, just different betting, buy-ins, etc., but nobody listens. Luckily the games are always at one of our houses so we'll just force 'em one of these times. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Accident
12-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Got invited to a NL cash game last night. Bought in for 40 and folded a few hands to observe a bit. They all had cash under their .50 cent chips and said any cash could play. So, I pulled out $100 bill and placed it under my stack. 3 hands later, I was all in w/trip 9's against the host. He dropped $80 and was all OUT. haha, I ended up w/a boat, 9's over Queens. I love the cash games. You just have to be really careful w/your stack. I managed to lose it all back and only came out 7 dollars ahead after 2.5 hours. Oh, well.
Accident
/images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif