PDA

View Full Version : Too Aggresive with A-Q?

MikeyEdge
12-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Second round of a 76 person tournament, blinds are 50-100. Starting with 1500, I've doubled up to about 3,000. I have A-Q under the gun and raise it to $400. Button calls, BB calls and everyone else drops. Flop comes A-6-7 with two hearts. BB bets out $200.

I move all-in. Do you think this was the right move or should I have just called him down? Folding wasn't really an option at this point in the hand. Button folds and BB calls the rest of his 1300 stack.

BB turns over A-6 for two pair and my chip lead is crippled.

LSUfan1
12-23-2004, 12:12 PM
The real question here is can you get away from the AQ?

If you are going to end up calling him down, he will more than likely get his 2 pair all in at some point. A pot sized bet is probably a good way to go, but you need to be able to get away from the hand.

I could be wrong, but you look like you were going to play this hand hard either way once the ace hit the board. I have this problem myself! Keep in mind that you are very early in the tourney, and you don't need to push small advantages. Better to make the pot sized bet and fold to an all in, then make a better play on a later hand.

betgo
12-23-2004, 01:19 PM
I think you played it right. The money is not deep enought that you can get away from AQ here. The push is correct to make it hard for flush or straight draws.

Obviously that was a really bad call by your ooponent with A6, particularly if it wasn't suited. Aces up is about the only big hand he could make with that.