PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll considerations, need a little help

EnderFFX
12-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Well I've been lending money to a friend on PStars, and he normally pays me back. I get a call from him yesterday saying that he is stopping by work and quitting poker forever (which means about 2 weeks) and is giving me cash for all the money he borrowed.

I had about $400 online, and I need half that money for Christmas stuff, and the other half I put right back into PStars. So now I have $200 online, plus $20 a different friend sent me. I have the $50 bonus coming in once i hit 250 FPP. I love the speed tournaments, and I've been playing a ton of the $15 + $1 Speed sng. However, I don't think my bankroll can take it, so here are my questions.

1) I'm going to drop to the $6.00 +$0.50 speed Sng, do I have enough money? (approximately $230 now, $220 plus up a little) I'm going to be 6 tabling, and probably 8 tabling soon.

2) How much do I need for the $15 + $1 sng? how about the $25 + $2 sng?

3) I've tracked my last 300-400 tournaments, and I've had an ROI of around 10-12%. I've had a couple really bad losing streaks (The first one I talked to a friend about it, and fixed some holes, the others were some bad luck) and no real big winning streaks. Should I be worried about my low ROI? or do I not have enough numbers?

My goal is to have around $1200, by the end of January. Cash out of half of it, and use that $600 that is cashed out to capitalize on any PokerStars promotions.

hurlyburly
12-23-2004, 11:57 AM
You definitely don't have the B/R to 6-table right off. Since you've stayed consistently positive on the ROI, you might be able to pull off double-tabling the 15+1, but you are going to have a high risk of ruin until you reach a b/r of around $725.

Try 2 tabling the $6 until you have a consistent ROI >20%. You should have enough for that.

UMTerp
12-23-2004, 02:06 PM
That's not true. Assuming that your ROI is the same whether you 2-table or 6-table (which may be a faulty assumption), there's no difference in bankroll requirements regardless of which one you do.

FWIW, I've started on the $16's on three different occasions with ~$200, and didn't bust out any of the three times, so it's not impossible. Only once did I get below $100, but I wasn't overly concerned about it since I could reload if necessary.

To "safely" play the $16's, you probably want $400-$500 in there. If it's feasible to reload in a week or two if you go broke, I'd just play the $16's right away - it sucks to give up 60% of your profit playing the $6.50's. If you're going to be out of action for a while if you bust, I guess the safer route would be to build the bankroll playing the smaller ones.

And FWIW, I'd drop to 4-table at the most til you figure out how to beat the games for a higher ROI.

lorinda
12-23-2004, 02:10 PM
If you're going to be out of action for a while if you bust, I guess the safer route would be to build the bankroll playing the smaller ones.

It is also critical to survive long enough to collect the bonus.

Lori