PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

HitmanHoldem
12-23-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm new to the web page so I was unclear of the acroynms used by forum members on this web page.

When someone refers to having won say 25 BB, how are you supposed to know how much that means? I'm going to assume that BB is equal to Big Blind or Big Bet, so wouldnt you need to know the limit they are playing to understand the amount they've won? Wouldn't 25 BB on 1/2 be worth $50 while 25 BB on 3/6 be worth $150?

La Brujita
12-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Yep it means big bet in limit (ie 30 in 15-30) and it is somewhat unclear whether people mean the big blind in nl or 2xbb.

It is a convenient way to let people know pot size in limit since decisions are based on odds which pretty much stay fixed as limits change.

Marm
12-23-2004, 02:05 PM
The thing is, In limit $ amount usually dont matter. The stakes just tell you what type of competition to expect, sorta. A bet is a bet in limit, regardless of the $.

In NL, especially in tournies where there is no actual $ invovled (ok yes the chips are worth $, but not for this explanation), stacks sizes are described in number of BB's in them. IE, if you have $250 in a 1/2 game, you have 125BB's in your stack. IT also can give you a 'guide' for raising. Numbers of BB raise, or % of pot in BB's.

Just an esiaer way to do the math without assigning a $ value to a bet. Some people may cringe at making a $1000 bet with a pair of 7's, but if its only 4 BB's, then they can relate it to their .25/.50 game.

Kaz The Original
12-24-2004, 03:17 PM
BB refers to Big Bet in limit and Big Blind in NL