PDA

View Full Version : Quality of folding holdem table tops?

obeythekitten
12-23-2004, 10:56 AM
i know about building your own table and have looked into it, but recently the prices on foldable holdem table tops has gone down and is a more attractive option for me.

the price is definitely in a reasonable range around $75 including shipping...has anyone bought one of these before?

basically my biggest concern is the quality/thickness of the rail, if its garbage then i dont want anything to do with it.

here are some ebay links for the exact item that i wanna buy -

Close-up Picture (http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/rmak124/texastabletop.jpg)

Auction Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35749&item=6140710 517&rd=1)

edit - i just realized that for a first post on this forum it looks like i'm shilling but i swear i'm not, just decided to try and ask where people may have actually tried this out

ncskiier
12-23-2004, 11:12 AM
You probably will get bashed for this post, but I'll give you an answer. We have one of these and it is well worth the $. The only thing is that the felt is kinda cheap and pills up. I think it may get better with use though.

elwoodblues
12-23-2004, 11:37 AM
I would be concerned about how much the act of folding itself would wear down the rails. If it isn't well made, I would suspect that this part of the table would show some significant wear.

TenPercenter
12-23-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would be concerned about how much the act of folding itself would wear down the rails. If it isn't well made, I would suspect that this part of the table would show some significant wear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought two of these, and that's what I'm worried about too. The hunges are just extra vinyl backing at those points. Onlt time will tell, I can;t bash it yet.

The felt pilled up BIG TIME on the first use. Green fuzz was everywhere. That may get better with time too.

Other than that, I'm extrememly happy with them.

Ten

pmyers23
12-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Wow....$62.95 for shipping. When I saw the auction was won for $26.01 I was getting ready to buy one myself and then saw the outragous shipping charges (obviously a way to get around the Ebay fees).

Nagoo81
12-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Check how much it is retail .... From Target (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=/ref=sr_1_1/602-9329328-7202248?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00068V8SE)

obeythekitten
12-23-2004, 04:20 PM
does amyone have anything to say about the thickness of the rail?

ncskiier
12-23-2004, 04:29 PM
I thought that the rail was fine. Not nearly as plush as my custom table, though, which can be purchased at justkidding.com. LOL.

Onaflag
12-23-2004, 07:11 PM
I built my own tables using high quality velvet, but a couple friends have the folding tables with the cheap felt. Other replies are correct in saying the felt pills up, however, it DOES NOT get better over time. It gets worse. The rail will last much longer than the felt. When that green stuff starts getting mixed into the cards, the chips, in your drink, inside the Dorito bowl, you'll regret wasting the money. My tables are not for sale, so I have no other reason to bash them but to tell the truth. When we play at a house with one of those things, I always offer to haul one of mine.

Get the plywood, buy the velvet and pleather for the rail, etc, and build your own. It will give you many years of pleasure.

Onaflag.........

obeythekitten
12-23-2004, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I built my own tables using high quality velvet, but a couple friends have the folding tables with the cheap felt. Other replies are correct in saying the felt pills up, however, it DOES NOT get better over time. It gets worse. The rail will last much longer than the felt. When that green stuff starts getting mixed into the cards, the chips, in your drink, inside the Dorito bowl, you'll regret wasting the money. My tables are not for sale, so I have no other reason to bash them but to tell the truth. When we play at a house with one of those things, I always offer to haul one of mine.

Get the plywood, buy the velvet and pleather for the rail, etc, and build your own. It will give you many years of pleasure.

Onaflag.........

[/ QUOTE ]

i have looked into building one and i have complete confidence in my ability to do it properly, but two things concern me and make me want to buy this instead of building it myself -

- Putting cupholders in the rail

- No matter how good i made my tabletop, the ability to fold it up and put it in the trunk of my car or closet is a HUGE advantage, i am yet to see any directions on how to properly make a tabletop fold small like that one

wouldnt it also be possible to recover the top with the material of my choice anyway if i so desired once it starts to heavily wear?

Sully
12-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Obey;

Off subject, but I have to assume that you're the same as the guy who used to post on Phishhook....I haven't been there much in a while, but used to be a fan of yours...I think you'll like this board if you're serious about poker.

obeythekitten
12-25-2004, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Obey;

Off subject, but I have to assume that you're the same as the guy who used to post on Phishhook....I haven't been there much in a while, but used to be a fan of yours...I think you'll like this board if you're serious about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sir, are correct...i am infact the same person

Sully
12-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Good to know...ought to spice things up around here.

obeythekitten
12-26-2004, 09:15 PM
bump one last time before i buy one tomorrow