PDA

View Full Version : HPFAP - Open Limping on the Button

Festus22
12-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Short-Handed section - Page 197 shares an interesting strategy. IF (and only if) the blinds are very loose, then open limping on the button is more correct than raising with hands such as A-6o, small pairs and mid suited connectors. Very loose was defined as defending over 70% of the time.

A) Is there support for this play here?
B) Does anyone actually do it?
C) Does this not really apply to most online games?

I glad I remembered the Short-Handed section was in there. There's some very good information but I'm not too sure about this specific recommendation.

Trix
12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
I dont, but I think I will try it out as Tommy adviced someone to do it in mid-high a few days ago.

djoyce003
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
I open limp on the button when I know they won't fold. It works extremely well. I had a couple of guys in the blinds with 70% vpip and they never folded to a raise on the button, so I limped with marginal hands and took down some nice pots when I hit.

stripsqueez
12-23-2004, 06:10 PM
if i assume that the odds of the blinds folding was say 10% i would still raise any power hand - not open raising a hand like Axo would be dumb in my view

no doubt your opponents make a mistake when they over defend the blinds - raising ensures they make a bigger mistake

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

TwoNiner
12-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Your hardly ever going to find a big blind AND a small blind that BOTH never fold. You have to raise so you don't go three handed with a small pair or ace high.

RamGad
12-23-2004, 07:53 PM
There might be some value to open limping with a hand like 10 9s or 89s if they fold <10% and play poorly after the flop as well. Not sure about the numbers. Seems like rake might really hurt a play like this. They'd probably have to be awful post-flop.

Grisgra
12-23-2004, 10:51 PM
I've experimented with it a little bit, it doesn't seem to be so bad. I only do it with stuff like A6o, though -- something like T9s (or even T9o) I'd rather open-raise so that if an ace hits, they are more likely to put me on one and fold. (At least, that's the theory.)

When I actually HAVE an ace, I have no need to create that impression, obviously.