PDA

View Full Version : Dead Button Rule

09-03-2001, 05:42 AM
Can someone please explain the "dead button rule" to me and convince me that we should use it in my home tourney. We currently use 3 blinds whenever a blind hand busts out. I think the dead button rule is preferable but don't know its exact application.

Thanks,

KJS

09-03-2001, 05:11 PM
If there are two blinds after the button, the rule is that the SB from last hand gets the button next hand. When the SB leaves, the "dead button" rule simply puts the button at the empty seat, affectively giving the button to the player who had it last. When the BB leaves then there is no small blind for the next hand, and then the button is "dead" for the second; again giving the button to a player twice. When both blinds leave, the rule progresses naturally.

The "button must move" has the affect that a player gets to put his blind in when in late position, which is a HUGE advantage; much more so then getting the button twice (as opposed to once, and then in the CutOff). I'd gladly skip my button one round if I could blind on it next round. This rule falls apart completely when BOTH blinds leave.

"Dead Button" results in a pot which is 1sb smaller, "Must Move" results in a pot with either 1bb or 1sb bigger. I don't see why one would be "better" than the other.

- Louie

09-04-2001, 12:22 AM
But Louie, if we are talking about a player putting up his small blind after the button passes him instead of in the normal position, the money itself becomes dead money not live.

Suppose it is a $10-$20 game and I am required to put up my small blind for $5. Instead, I go to the rest room and skip my small blind. When I come back, the button is to my immediate left. If I put in $5 to make up my small blind, this $5 is dead money. In other words, it still will cost me the full $10 to call and take a flop.

09-04-2001, 12:26 PM
Yes, that's an excellent rule to stop you ..err.. those unethical jerks, but that's not the situation at hand.

Last hand: Player A has SB, B the BB, C is UTG, D, E, F are next, G has the button.

[1] A (SB) leaves after the last hand:

This hand ("Must Move"): B gets the button and takes his LIVE SB there, both C and D take their BBs.

Next hand: C gets the button and takes is LIVE SB there, D takes the normal SB, and E takes the normal BB. Hand after that is normal.

[2] B (BB) leaves after the last hand:

This hand: A has the normal button, C and D take their BBs.

Next hand: C takes his SB on the button, D takes his normal SB, E takes his normal BB. Hand after that is normal.

[3] Both B and C leave after the last hand:

This hand: D gets the button and takes his LIVE BB there, E and F take their BBs.

Next hand: D is in CutOff and takes his LIVE SB there, E gets the button and takes is LIVE SB there, F takes his normal SB, and G takes his normal BB. Eeeaaaack. What a FABULOUS deal for D, GREAT deal E, and good deal for F and G since they take their blinds while others do as well. Hand after that is normal.

- Louie

09-04-2001, 02:38 PM
(n/t)