PDA

View Full Version : Tourny Players at Paradise

09-08-2001, 05:03 PM
How's it going. I'm a regular tournament player at Paradise (Lower Limit mostly 10) and I'm wondering about what records are important to keep for the tournament format. I've started keeping records of where I've finished over my last 50 tournaments, which I've been in the money 32 times. I feel that this is a number which should be improved upon so I think that player profiles could be useful. I'd like to use Poker Stat, but can't really afford the money to activate it after the 1600 hands. I guess my question would be what, other that of course hands played and in what position, should I record?

I do have a list of players that seem to be strong to me, but nothing really profiling them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

09-08-2001, 08:42 PM
Is Surfergal on your list? >

09-08-2001, 09:43 PM
Actually I do remember playing with Surfergal, but not enough to pass judgement, I just started the list recently.

09-09-2001, 04:36 AM
Tony ran a special recently, I think it ends Sunday I'm not sure.

The thing is what is poker to you? Internet poker in particular. Do you have a few beers and have a good time. Winning is great, but if you broke even that would be OK because you really enjoy playing poker.

The thing is, some of the players that you are playing against don't think anything like that. Poker is now about winning, not fun. They are students of the game. They approach poker, not thinking, is doing this worth the trouble, but will this make me a better poker player. They acquire good habits in every game they play in, even in the low limits where it is not cost-effective.

Player profiles are a pain in the ass. It's paperwork that has no immediate benefit. It's after awhile that you see how much it makes you. PokerStat makes it easier and tells you things you could never get with your own spreadsheet. I wish it had never been done. Why? Because it was too much work the other way and no one was doing it, well not many. This made me money, I was willing to do the work. Player profiles are coming to the internet masses. PP is suppose to be putting a note keeping option in soon. Poker stars is starting with one.

If you want to be one of the two players at the average table with a long term win then you have to work at being better than average, because average sucks. The rake eats average for breakfast everyday.

I have almost two thousand player profiles for all the sites that I have played. About 2/3rds have some amount of detail about the player in question.

That's right I have no life. So, being a better natural poker player than me is not enough, because I'm working like hell to keep my poker bankroll intact with any edge I can find.

Oh yeah, everyone that is left after this last year is better. The poker holiday is over. Darwin has been very busy this year in internet poker. The weak have been eaten and the strong are looking at each other for their next meal.

So George, if you want to continue your 2/3 in the money finishes, which if I might say, is pretty damn good. You had better start getting better.

Have a nice day.

MS Sunshine

09-09-2001, 04:47 AM
About this comment below:

"The thing is, some of the players that you are playing against don't think anything like that. Poker is now about winning, not fun. They are students of the game. They approach poker, not thinking, is doing this worth the trouble, but will this make me a better poker player. They acquire good habits in every game they play in, even in the low limits where it is not cost-effective."

I think this is true, but there are exceptions. I for one! I play to win, yes, but that is where I get my fun. /images/smile.gif

It's very fun for me to win! It's like playing bridge. I play to win, and using my intelligence and skills to outplay an opponent gives me great satisfaction.

Anyways, I'm sure you meant "fun" as in "just playing for fun, drinking a few beers, etc..."! /images/wink.gif

- Tony