PDA

View Full Version : Medium draw in low stakes

mweimer
12-23-2004, 03:04 AM
5-10 game on Party Poker, 5 players, mweimer is BB, dealt 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Player 1 calls, 2 folds , SB calls, BB checks (3 small bets)

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB folds, BB bets, Player 1 raises, BB calls (3.5 big bets)

Turn: A /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, Player 1 bets, BB folds

Question: I think I should have checked and folded to a bet on the flop, since my straight draw is lower than the nuts, which is possible from any of the other players. Any comments?

StellarWind
12-23-2004, 01:39 PM
You have the wrong mindset for short handed pots. Good hands don't grow on trees. Your opponent probably doesn't have one. Worrying that you might make a straight and lose anyway has absolutely no place.

I would play this draw very aggressively against most opponents. You have an OESD + backdoor flush. That's 9 effective outs plus making a pair could win heads up. Why assume he has anything? Use all this pot equity to try and steal the rest of the pot.

Betting the flop is good and you need to decide what to do next when you get raised. 3-betting and betting the turn is not unreasonable but calling is fine. Remember that someone is going to bet the turn and you need to call it to draw to your straight (you do, bad turn fold). Most players are unlikely to raise the turn in response to this show of force so the turn bet may not cost anything extra. By being the one to bet you frequently win by forcing them to fold. Checkcallers always have to hit their draws to win.

The turn ace is a golden opportunity. He limped first in from button+2. I don't think he has an ace. Bet and put the pressure on him to find a call. Even if he doesn't fold that ace and the aggression of your second bet will usually stop a raise.

JimRivett
12-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Why assume he has anything?

Didn't his opponent raise his flop bet? Granted raises can mean different things, one of which is a better hand.

Like most situations a lot would depend upon your opponent, however check folding in this situation, small pot and only a draw, would not be that bad.

Jim

StellarWind
12-23-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't his opponent raise his flop bet? Granted raises can mean different things, one of which is a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's one thing the raise could mean. Heads up on this board they can also show overcards possibly combined with some straight draw. I think you can take 1-2 outs for the 87.

[ QUOTE ]
Like most situations a lot would depend upon your opponent, however check folding in this situation, small pot and only a draw, would not be that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Flop or turn? Not betting the flop with 9 straight and backdoor flush outs is awful against almost all players.

On the turn your pot odds if you check are 4.5-1 and you should make at least one more BB if you hit your hand. Mandatory call with 8 outs to a straight. But it is much better to bet first because he might fold.

The real question is whether you should fire another barrel on the river. That's when you really need the read.