PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of "Re-Beginner" Questions

MasterShakes
12-23-2004, 01:29 AM
I am a somewhat experienced ring-game hold 'em player in both the limit and no-limit variations of the game. I am trying to diversify a bit and start playing some tournaments. I have likely played at least a few hundred SNGs since I started playing seriously, but I never really studied these very much.

I just recently picked up the Harrington book and plan to read it cover to cover. I also have the Sklansky book, but haven't read it as extensively. I also don't read this forum too much.

I plan to start at the 10+1 level (for which I am more than adequately bankrolled at $600 or so) and eventually build my way up to 50+5, while working in some satellite and multi-table play as well (it's a personal goal to play in both the PPM and the WSOP within the next two years). Of course, I want the great winrates that I read about on here all the time, but I also want to know what course of action will best lead me to those winrates.

And yes, this will all likely be done on Party, though I do plan to venture onto Stars some time in 2005.

Anyway... on to my questions:

1) I really want to learn by both studying and doing, so would it be recommended that I really swamp myself with material... reading and re-reading Sklansky and Harrington, as well as all of the posts on the forum?

2)For those who have read well into Harrington's book, how much of it is applicable to SNGs?

3) I am extremely comfortable with multi-tabling the ring games. Would multi-tabling (3 tables at a time) the 10+1 SNGs right off the bat be a bad idea?

4) How long does it take, on average, to play one SNG on Party?

5) Who are the most reliable posters in the forum (I plan to read it cover the cover and participate when I feel like I can contribute something meaningful)?

Cheers and Happy Holidays,
MasterShakes

daboze
12-23-2004, 02:18 AM
1) yes. make it part of your daily routine to spend some time on the forum, read and re-read the the "classics" as well as the others (i liked the mcevoy satellite book as an example). but really i think the most accurate and specialized advice can be found in this forum.

2) again, i think this was a great book but specifically for Party $10 SNGs time spent on this forum will give you information in a clearer context

3) i personally eased my way into it. but i think 2-tabling is easy enough to start with, and go from there as you feel comfortable.

4) 45-60min to win one

5) here are a few must-reads from the top of my head. There are certainly dozens of others with quality insights, but not a bad place to start:

eastbay
lorinda
stripsqueez
daliman
strassa2

Phoenix1010
12-23-2004, 02:56 AM
1. I haven't picked up Harrington's book yet, so I can't comment on it's usefulness. Take a closer look at TPFAP, get a grasp of the general concepts (especially the gap concept, also moving up in the money, strategies at different blind levels, stack size considerations, all-in strategy, etc). Other than the general stuff, there isn't too much in poker books that is directly applicable to single table tourney play. This forum is by far the best resource for information on STT play, and the only place you can get advice specific to the games and levels that you're planning to play. Spend as much time as you can reading these forums.

2. Can't comment.

3. My general advice is don't multitable right away. SnG's are a unique form of poker, and it's going to take plenty of attention and focus for you to get a solid feel for the game. If you've truly played hundreds already, then you should know if you're completely comfortable with the flow and mechanics of SnG play or not. Remember that multitabling generally hurts your ROI and ITM while increasing your $/hour rate, even for experienced players. During the learning phase, I advise taking it one at a time.

4. Generally 45-60 minutes all the way through. For hourly rate considerations, it's important to note that if you're playing well, you'll still typically be losing out of the money about half the time. I'd estimate that the average time of play for a solid player is around 40 minutes maximum. That's the time that I use for my own calculations at least.

5. Daboze gave a pretty good list. I would definitely add Aleomagus. Zephyr, Irieguy, and Adanthar are always helpful, as far as people who still post frequently. Aleogmagus had a very nice guide for beating the 10+1 STT's which was really the most helpful post I've found on this forum yet. Make sure you take a look at that first if you can find it. I'm not sure you can read the forum "cover to cover," but searching for old posts by the people on Daboze's list + Aleomagus is definitely a great start. You can generally tell who the more reliable posters are just by reading a few of their posts. Good luck.

Regards,
Steve

lorinda
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Just a general observation.

One of the key differences between a SNG and a multi-table game is that you can get into the money just by winning one hand in a SNG.
(In fact, I think a good % of people here can tell stories where they have seen people sit out the entire game and come third)
This is not the optimal strategy, but it changes a lot about how you play as it reduces the number of medium-small +EV moves you need to make, you're more looking for one big pot.

Lori

LSUfan1
12-23-2004, 12:07 PM
I just recently took a hit to my stack in the ring games, and I decided to come back and play some SNG's. If you have not seen it you should really check out aleomagus 10+1 SNG guide.

I would stick to this guide to the letter, at least at first until you get into the swing of SNG's. I have only played 20 or so in the past couple of days back, but I fare much better when I follow the advice to those times that I stray from it. I am up 109 dollars over 21 tourneys, even with some bonehead plays here and there. This is not a very significant number to work on, but most have a positive ROI using this guide.

http://www.dealerscall.com/showarticle.php?a=16

Good luck to you and be sure to post some hands!

Cliff