PDA

View Full Version : Online poker betting mistakes

09-05-2001, 03:08 AM
What does everybody think the error rate is for online poker, while betting?

Mistakes like calling two bets when you were trying just to call one, by using the advance action boxes, but the yellow action buttton pops up while you are clicking the little box.

Players in two games that just plain hit the wrong button, things like that.

It is rare for a "live" player to raise by mistake, compared to online play.

Who benefits the most? Should you never anticipate raising first-in with your mouse ready to click the raise button, because the player right in front of you raises and you find yourself reraising with A8off.

I've just switched to contacts and I really have to be watching what is happening on the table. My wife says I was not always that aware of what was happening before. What does she know.

Anyone know of situations to look for?

MS Sunshine

09-05-2001, 03:58 AM
i don't know of any way to take advantage of this since you can't tell if someone raised cause they wanted to or if it was a mistake.

one trick i do use, especially in hold em, is to use the bet in turn button. not the bet/raise button. this way if it is checked to you, you automatically fire a bet out and people think you had the bet/raise button on. and if someone bets in front of you, it won't raise, you can fold/raise/call as you normally would.

pg

09-05-2001, 04:30 AM
On a related note,

I like to be ready, and act fast whenever it is my turn. If I plan to bet, but check if someone else bets, I'm ready to do this manually. (similar to the method you use above!)

I never use the "in turn" buttons though, even when I have 27o. This way no one ever knows what I have or am doing. I also try to always make my decision and am ready to press the bet/fold/raise button when it gets around to me (I play low limits so these decisions are not hard).

- Tony

P.S. Steve Badger has some interesting ideas about online "tells" on the www.playwinningpoker.com/guide1.html site.

09-05-2001, 06:15 AM
"I never use the "in turn" buttons though, even when I have 27o. This way no one ever knows what I have or am doing."

I agree that you should be very carefull using in turn buttons. But really, auto-folding gives no tell away. You just fold in turn quickly, which speeds up the game. However if you often need time to think about preflop decisions, it might be better to not auto-fold, but then again it might also be better to work more on your game :-) Preflop I always know what I'm going to do, I'm prepared for every situation, so I dont need time to think when the action gets to me.

Regards

09-05-2001, 09:03 AM
I have had a little problem when playing 2 tables. I ususally play a tourament and a low limit 5 man table at the same time. I use the in turn buttons alot, but I never use the bet/raise button unless I'm holding a super strong hand. My problem has come when I'm on let's say the 5 man table, and I am getting ready to hit the fold button and the screen automatically switches to the tourney table and I end up folding when I have the nuts. It hasn't happened that often, but it has cost me a few tourneys. Now I just take a little more time to make sure that I hit the correct button for ther situation that I am in.

regards,

jazzman

09-05-2001, 09:39 AM
I agree the in-turn buttons should rarely be used except the "fold in-turn". I think it's a big tell when I see a raise and the player next to act calls instantly. He had the "call any in-turn" button on and to me that's a big tell of a weaker player. There are no situations where you are going to call no matter what happens before. Even if the hand is playable, you should consider calling, raising, reraising or folding.

Also, don't forget to displace your 2 windows (when playing 2 tables) so that they don't overlap. So one screen won't pop up and you end up folding, calling or raising at the wrong table. That's essential.

In 2 years of playing online, I have made not more than 10 mistakes like this. So, IMO, it is a rare occurence. Of course, this would never happen live.

Nicolas Fradet (ThePrince)

09-05-2001, 09:59 AM
"I use the in turn buttons alot, but I never use the bet/raise button unless I'm holding a super strong hand. "

Wow..that's a good tell I have on you now. If I see you bet/raise very quickly you always have a very strong hand! Advice: never use the bet/raise button.

Regards

09-05-2001, 12:30 PM
It's happened to me a few times -- once I won a nice pot on an accidental call so I think that evened me out.

Someone in Card Player -- maybe Badger -- just did a piece on online tells. One to watch out for is when you raise and the guy next to act instantly re-raises. He usually has a big hand. Also a reverse tell is when a guy who usually acts quickly now pauses -- he has something good and wants to act scared.

09-05-2001, 12:40 PM
I agree that really the auto-fold button is the only one to use. If you're not going to be in the hand then you may as well help keep the action quick.

However even then I sometimes find myself with auto-fold on, and then quickly uncheck the box if it appears that everyone may fold to me in late position and I may be able to steal the blinds or at least get heads-up with somebody.

09-05-2001, 08:37 PM
What does everybody think the error rate is for online poker, while betting?

Everybody thinks that the error rate is 94.6 mistakes for every 1000 actions.

Who benefits the most?

The person in seat #3.

Should you never anticipate raising first-in with your mouse ready to click the raise button, because the player right in front of you raises and you find yourself reraising with A8off?

Yes.

My wife says I was not always that aware of what was happening before. What does she know?

Your name.

Anyone know of situations to look for?

Raising, betting, calling or folding situations.

09-06-2001, 08:46 AM
Hopefully, you do come and play with me because now I have an oportunity for some deception. Thanks for the the advice...:)

regards

jazzman

09-07-2001, 03:18 AM
For a start making it 2 bets with A8 off is hopefully a rare occurence.

You lose nothing by using the fold button preflop, or if someone has bet in front of you and you are waiting for others to act.

To prevent pressing the wrong button when another window pops up, the best way is to set your screen to 1024x768, and place each table in opposite corners. This way there is no overlap at all, between button areas. However, i too have won a nice pot due to the other window popping up, putting in a raise where i meant to fold, and chasing the bettor out.

09-08-2001, 04:04 AM
He could also be lagged. Online tells are rubbish, and Badger has no idea what he is talking about. How do you know when someone pauses, whether it means they are thinking, they are completing their action on another table, they are making a coffee, their mouse isn't working etc etc.

When someone raises any in turn the only thing it tells you with any regularity is that they are a moron.

You realise that most players on low limit raise any ace and any pocket pair right? I mean they actually watch the deal and as soon as they see that first ace they click the raise any in turn button.

They may also just click it with their eyes closed at the start of the hand because they are bored. I've seen my friends do this with my own eyes (Although to be fair he was drunk /images/smile.gif)

To be fair, there are some times when it is obvious someone is thinking...this usually occurs when they improve on the turn (or are slowplaying) and can't decide whether to bet out or checkraise. Most of the time though, slow reaction times are due to people not paying attention, or having a bad connection.

There is no way to use the number of blinks or length of time taken to act as a tell. Anyone who believes this is kidding themselves and everyone else (Badger).

I am quite sure that my time to act varies a lot, mostly because Im doing other stuff while playing. The only in turn button I use is the "Fold in turn" or "Check/Fold in turn" when I am done with the hand and want to minimise the window. This probably tells your opponent that you had a very weak hand, but that isn't really a tell because they can't use it to their advantage, and they have no other information to cross-reference it with.

Wardy