PDA

View Full Version : Med-high PPvs. LAG

pfkaok
12-22-2004, 11:37 PM
This seems like its a pretty common situation vs. a LAG in these games... If I think he's either got a big A, or an overpair, should I be raising the turn or river, or should I just call down after the flop gets 3-bet or capped??? The only reason I'm hesitant to raise this on the turn is b/c I feel like I'll have to call down anyways if he 3bets the turn (barring an A on the river). If my raise on the turn causes him to call, then check/fold the river with unimproved big cards, is it better to just let him bet, so that I lose much less when I'm behind, and possibly win the same when I'm ahead (except for the times when he 3bet-bluffs on turn)??

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

daryn
12-22-2004, 11:56 PM
i can't dig this hand.

i would cap the flop and failing that, raise the turn or river. why slow down? these guys will go bonkers with A3 in this spot.

pfkaok
12-23-2004, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i would cap the flop and failing that, raise the turn or river. why slow down? these guys will go bonkers with A3 in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're probaby right, I was thinking that a flop cap might slow him down if he only had 3-5 outs. If i cap flop and he still bets into me though, should I still raise turn, or then would it be best to just call down &amp; bet if checked to?

daryn
12-23-2004, 12:09 AM
depends on the player i guess..

against certain guys i will go til the bitter end raising and reraising. against a solid player, i would probably just reach the showdown as cheaply as possible if he bet the turn after my flop cap.

pfkaok
12-23-2004, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
against certain guys i will go til the bitter end raising and reraising. against a solid player, i would probably just reach the showdown as cheaply as possible if he bet the turn after my flop cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point... I think that one thing I lose while multitabling is picking up on wheter the guy is LAG pf, and just smart aggr postflop, or if he's just all around crazy. I can usually get an idea from their aggression factors, and their when folded %'s, but sometimes it takes playing in a few HU pots with the guy to get a good feel. I think that sometimes I'm giving the crazy LAG's a little too much credit, and not respecting the smart LAG's enough, but I've really been working on this, since I'm almost certain it's a crutial skill to have if you ever want to "crush" these 10/20 games; as they're full of LAG's of all sorts.

daryn
12-23-2004, 12:34 AM
just do what i do. assume everyone is a total idiot until they give you a reason not to.

helpmeout
12-23-2004, 12:53 AM
You at least have to raise the expensive streets.

I'd throw in a turn raise and if he 3bets I'd call down.

Grisgra
12-23-2004, 02:44 AM
A LAG will cap preflop in a SB vs BB battle with a huge variety of hands. I think I'd think I'm ahead on the flop, so to get an extra bet out of him I'd do a stop-n-go and raise the turn or, even better, that river. Make sure you see a showdown regardless.

daryn
12-23-2004, 02:51 AM
stop n go in position? i'd like to see that!

by the way isn't stop n go primarily a NL move?

Grisgra
12-23-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stop n go in position? i'd like to see that!

by the way isn't stop n go primarily a NL move?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably not using the lingo correctly, but you know what I meant -- instead of capping the flop, sandbag a little with what is likely the best hand and raise the turn instead. As far as whether it's better in NL, I can't say -- but I've done it before in limit with a monster hand. Let them think they have the best of it on the flop so you can get two bets in on the turn or river instead of one.

daryn
12-23-2004, 02:43 PM
i understand, but if you were gonna do this, just calling his flop bet would be horrible. you'd want to raise, and maybe just consider flat calling his 3-bet. letting him see the turn for cheapo with a possible 6 outs is weak.

wheelz
12-23-2004, 04:03 PM
I think he meant call the 3-bet then raise the turn.

I think I like playing it that way, although capping the flop then calling down is a good line too I think.