PDA

View Full Version : Newbie VPIP Question

Redd
12-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Take a 2+2er with an 'average' VP$IP (I've heard SSHE's recommendations result in about 18%?). So this girl/guy will see the flop with a little less then 2 hands per orbit?

Seems like I'm usually following SSHE and I feel like I play <1 hand per orbit..cold cards or a flaw in my math?

Freakin
12-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Vpip measures how much you VOLUNTARILY put in pot, so that means a free flop from teh BB doesn't count. You might limp, then fold to a 3bet back to you; those count towards VPIP. Honestly, don't worry about how many flop you're seeing. Concentrate on playing the right cards. If you're not getting them, then you were born unlucky. In this case, never play any games with chance involved. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freakin

Redd
12-23-2004, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you were born unlucky, never play any games with chance involved

[/ QUOTE ] The more advanced play is to obtain some sort of charm or lucky token. But that's not really material for the beginner's forum.

So say I play two hands: the first one I call pf, then call a pf raise. The second hand I fold pf. Would that make my VP$IP 50% or 66% for these two hands?

Redd

hoterdoc
12-23-2004, 01:00 AM
seems like 66% to me,
I say, blushing, from the back of the classroom.
anyone else?
doc

Freakin
12-23-2004, 06:52 AM
Nearly positive it's 66%. You had 3 options to put money in the pot, you elected to exercise two of those options.

Freakin

Sheriff Fatman
12-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Its 50% - VPIP% doesn't record how many bets/raises you call pre-flop, just whether you volunteered any money into the hand. Therefore, each hand is only counted once.

Be aware that VPIP% only looks at your action pre-flop. Therefore if you get a free play out of the big blind, hit a flop, bet/raise every subsequent street and ultimately win the hand then your VPIP for that hand will still be 0%.

I looked this up when I kept seeing players with VPIP's of 0% after a few hands with a net win of >$100 which couldn't possibly have occurred just by winning a pot uncontested.

Sheriff

MercTec
12-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Whats up freakin....things turning around from your bad session the other night? You must have been gettin seriously crap cards.....PT says ur a rock! hehe