PDA

View Full Version : Semibluff on the turn, too aggressive?

AndrewB
12-22-2004, 11:01 PM
This was a $10+1 SnG, Blinds (75/150) in Pokerstars.

BB had t4200
SB had t4500
Button had t4800

Preflop: Hero is the BB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Button folds, SB calls, Hero raises to t450, SB calls.

Flop (t900): K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB bets t200, Hero raises to t600, SB calls.

Turn (t2100): 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB bets 300, Hero raises all-in t3100, SB calls.

River (t8400): T /images/graemlins/club.gif

Final Pot: t8400

Results in white below
<font color="white">
Hero has Ace high
SB has K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif (2 pair)
Outcome: SB wins t8400 </font>

Does anyone like SBs call? I had been playing very tightly, only showing down the best hand. SB was obviously showing some strength, but I sensed some weakness and made my semibluff move.

Did my betting pattern give any clues? I was trying to represent a set with the flop raise, or even a flush semibluff.

david050173
12-22-2004, 11:30 PM
If you had the flush would you have gone all in or would you have raised to like 900 to try and milk more money out of him?

I really don't like the way your opponent played this hand. Calling a raise to 450 with k4 is poor. You chances of being dominated and out kicked are too high. Betting 200 into a flush draw pot is a waste. Then when you raised, he should be pushing. You are fair more likely to have a flush draw, AK,kQ, be bluffing than have trips or K9. He should make you pay for your bluff.

As far as your play, I would have called and folded. There is a lot of play left and I can get my money in with better odds most of time.

lorinda
12-22-2004, 11:30 PM
I'll leave the comment on the play to someone else for now (I'm a bit tired and it's not a simple hand) but the SB has put you on AK.

No reason to suspect a flush heads up this late.

At a quick glance your play looks okay, but his bet would normally make me think that he wants a cheap showdown (maybe King with a low heart or something) so I'd bear in mind that although he wants a cheap showdown, he may still call for an expensive one.
Of course, none of that transpired, but that's not the point.

Lori

rachelwxm
12-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Fold on flop.
Usually opponent bet out against PF raiser, he has something. You overplayed imo. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

AndrewB
12-23-2004, 04:24 PM
I agree that I overplayed this hand. Folding to a small flop bet after I raise pre-flop is just not a tool that is in my poker bag yet. That is definitely something I need to work on. I just like to throw chips around when it gets shorthanded and I end up with too many 3rds because of it.