PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 6/12 Flopped Flush

Soviet Exile
12-22-2004, 10:16 PM
First 6/12 table of the day on a Monday. Average age at table is 55. 5 guys know each other and all the help. Several others are tourists I recognize from playing night before. No real decent reads, as this is the fifth or sixth hand.

I have J/images/graemlins/spade.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif in big blind. Three limpers. SB folds. I check.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif x /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. Two folds, and late position (older local) calls.

Turn: Blank. I check, he bets, I raise, and he calls.

River: Blank. I bet and call a raise.

Thoughts?

Evan
12-22-2004, 10:39 PM
You have the second nuts. I think the nuts is raising the turn. 3 bet the river.

12-22-2004, 11:44 PM
What evan said.

billuhbong
12-23-2004, 12:03 AM
just keep raising the fool u have him

John Deere
12-23-2004, 12:45 AM
I played the Mirage 6/12 late Saturday night until early Sunday morning, and Sunday night until about 3 a.m. Were you at my table? Saturday night I was in the corner by the high limit section, next to the table with the guy in the leather fanny pack who kept farting. Sunday, I was at the table with the obnoxious guy who played high school basketball for Gary Williams and asked the nice Asian girl if her boobs were real.

Hi.

Soviet Exile
12-23-2004, 02:59 AM
No. This was from the Monday before last.

Schizo
12-23-2004, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have the second nuts. I think the nuts is raising the turn. 3 bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this is the best move, but what if 4 bet on the river and there is no cap (headsup/river)? I assume you just call?

Soviet Exile
12-23-2004, 03:03 AM
Thanks. I thought I was getting soft. Running bad will do that to you.

Guy flipped Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif for the nuts. I felt good about it at the time.

Clarkmeister
12-23-2004, 12:12 PM
"Thoughts"

You lose. Call the river raise if you must, but in that game as you describe that river raise is the nuts 100% of the time. It's not party 2-4, it's the Mirage 6-12 which has a very unique game texture.

StellarWind
12-23-2004, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I find this river raise just as scary as a turn 3-bet. I don't see your point.

Evan
12-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Are you serious, that game has the texture of not raising the nuts on the turn?

Evan
12-23-2004, 12:19 PM
I just can't find any reasoning for someone holding the nuts on the turn to call a check raise.

Clarkmeister
12-23-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just can't find any reasoning for someone holding the nuts on the turn to call a check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's the Mirage, and his opponent is a local. To them, a 3-bet on the turn MEANS the nuts. So they don't want to "give away" their hand by 3-betting because their opponent will "obviously" fold. So they slowplay by calling the turn and then raising the river. It's a very very common betting pattern out here.

StellarWind
12-23-2004, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You play LL poker and you require your opponents to have reasons? How do you survive /images/graemlins/wink.gif?

Here is a reason. He doesn't want to let his opponent escape by folding the turn 3-bet. That would cost him two bets.

Sorry if you think that is a dumb reason but it seems to be a staple in the spider school of poker. It's all about trapping your opponents through devious slowplays.

Mathematically you are asking the wrong question. You keep focusing on how unlikely the nut flush is to play this way. Well the fact is he did call the turn and raise the river. He has to have something and I can't think what else it would be. Unless you can find other hands that are more likely to play this way, he is still a favorite to have the nuts. Obviously pure bluffs that won't call a reraise don't count.

Evan
12-23-2004, 12:44 PM
I once again defer to Clark's omniscience. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Evan
12-23-2004, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You play LL poker and you require your opponents to have reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]
Point taken. I guess I would've lost too many bets on this hand.

sfer
12-23-2004, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Point taken. I guess I would've lost too many bets on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish.