PDA

View Full Version : not a usual spot

stripsqueez
12-22-2004, 10:08 PM
$100+$9 on empire - first round and i get Ks5h in the BB - 3 limpers to the SB who raises to T100 - distracted by 2 3/6 limit omaha hi games and a 2/4 draw game i hit the call button - all limpers call

flop is As Kd 5c - SB pushes

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Big Limpin'
12-22-2004, 10:46 PM
If you call...(and i think its close) get ready for some serious berating in the chat box /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

david050173
12-22-2004, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you call...(and i think its close) get ready for some serious berating in the chat box /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played the 100s but in the 30s I make this call all (generally not k5 but random two bottom pair) the time and they never have trips or AK. With those hands they go for the check raise or just call a flop bet. The only thing those hands fear on this board is the straight draw and you would think that things like QJ,QT,JT would have folded to the raise. On the other hand risking your tournament life when you could be drawing dead is never fun and it is early enought that losing this pot isn't fatal.

lorinda
12-22-2004, 11:39 PM
It doesn't seem like there are many hands he should be worried about, so I think he'd trap a set.

I'd put him on Ax where x could well be a 3.

If he doesn't have the 3, he still has 8 outs.

For this reason I think it's very close, but I suspect I'd call it.

Edit: For 3 read 5.

Lori

bigredlemon
12-22-2004, 11:44 PM
don't keep us in suspense... what did he have? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mr_J
12-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Only hands that have you atm are AA, KK and AK. He raised enough preflop for him to easily have one of these. I fold here. I'd wait for other chances.

BTW, I'm assuming that the skill level at the $100s is high enough that you won't see many people raising preflop with Ax.

bigredlemon
12-22-2004, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only hands that have you atm are AA, KK and AK. He raised enough preflop for him to easily have one of these. I fold here. I'd wait for other chances.

BTW, I'm assuming that the skill level at the $100s is high enough that you won't see many people raising preflop with Ax.

[/ QUOTE ]That's what I'm thinking. But moving all in with two pair or a set? You'd think he'd try to get a little more out of that.

adanthar
12-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Autocall. He's not pushing AK.

Mr_J
12-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Good point. So basically he's either dumb enough to raise preflop with A/Kx or he's not smart enough to milk his set/2p?

david050173
12-23-2004, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good point. So basically he's either dumb enough to raise preflop with A/Kx or he's not smart enough to milk his set/2p?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising preflop(with just about any playable hands) is ok in some games. He raised enough that the limpers will fold a lot of hands and he can win a decent pot. Not to mention if he bets the flop you have to give him credit for a decent hand.

stripsqueez
12-23-2004, 05:54 PM
i thought it was close - eventually i called - limpers folded and he turned over AJo - blanks hit and i won

i think the push from this spot screams 1 pair as opposed to the hands that are beating me - the typical hand for raising a bunch of limpers out of the blinds early in the $100's varies dramatically - shortly before this i saw 87s in a similar spot

i was hoping for some abusive chat but it didnt eventuate - i suspect it was regarded as the normal play

stripsqueez - chickenhawk