PDA

View Full Version : First ever NL hand cracked.

OrianasDaad
12-22-2004, 03:32 PM
OK, thought I'd try out NL for the first time. I sat and posted behind the CO with $10 in a .25/.50 NL game.

I got dealt QQ, and raised it to $2.00, two players call. The flop comes TT9, two /images/graemlins/diamond.gifs. The BB bets $1.50, and after a long (online) think I raise to $3.00 to get heads up, which worked. The BB reraises me all-in, and I call. The turn is a blank, and the river is a 3. The BB turns over 33 for the rivered set and a suckout that busts my first ever NL hand. I made a note of his handle, and I'm hoping to play against him again sometime.

Now, I'm not sure I can take too many beats like that without knowing more about specific strategies geared towards NL ring play.

Any good resources online? Most of the information I've found is focused on the limit game.

Comments on my play are also welcome.

ThaSaltCracka
12-22-2004, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] looks good, you got unlucky there.

If you want some more advice on NL ring games, def check out that forum. There is some interesting stuff in there. I believe one key is be a little tighter than in limit games.

Cleveland Guy
12-22-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, thought I'd try out NL for the first time. I sat and posted behind the CO with $10 in a .25/.50 NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't buy into a $.25/$.50 Game for $10.

If you had a deeper stack the 33 might have been more likely to

1. Put you on a hand
2. realize you could re-raise him.

Whenever I play PL or NL - I always buy in for the max, and if I get below 1/2 the max, I always reload.

Nothing worse than hitting a big hand right off the bat, and not being able to maximize your earnings. I tripled up in the first hand of a PL Omaha game the other night, became the immediate big stack at the table.

Phil Van Sexton
12-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Go to Pot-Limit & No-Limit/Small Stakes forum here. Plenty of info about games exactly like this.

Feedback on hand....
- Don't sit with only $10. The max is $25, which still isn't much compared to the blind size. Having such a small stack greatly limits your options. If you are afraid of losing your whole buyin, don't play at all. It will happen all the time.

- You bet $2 and got 2 callers. This was a good play. He bets $1.50 into a $6 pot. You raise $1.50 more. This is quite wrong. His 1.50 raise was a weak effort to buy the $6 pot. The pot was $7.50 after his raise. You have $8 left. You must move allin here. You have no other choice.

This isn't limit, you don't want to get him "heads up" and hope to win the pot. There's $7.50 in the pot. You have $8 left. You want to win right there.

This is not a bad beat. He likely would've folded if you had played correctly, and you would have won the pot.

Don't worry, happens to all of us. Please check out the NL Small Stakes forum.

OrianasDaad
12-22-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure how I missed the no-limit forums in the menu. I'll check them out. Thanks for the advice.

pzhon
12-23-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't buy into a $.25/$.50 Game for $10.

[/ QUOTE ]
In fact, it is perfectly reasonable to buy in for less than the maximum. Having a short stack is an advantage. It is particularly good for someone who is new to NL play to buy in short, since they are likely to make some big mistakes with deep stacks if they are used to limit.

[ QUOTE ]

If you had a deeper stack the 33 might have been more likely to

1. Put you on a hand
2. realize you could re-raise him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you not want someone with 2 outs to come along? You realize your EV is much higher if you can convince a 10:1 underdog to move in, right?

There is more to poker than winning the pot right now. You can bet for value and call bluffs, both of which are easier if your stack is shorter so you don't have later decisions to make.

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing worse than hitting a big hand right off the bat, and not being able to maximize your earnings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there is. Losing a full buy-in to a set or straight when you have TPTK or an overpair is much worse.

gummy d
12-23-2004, 07:54 PM
What phil said. Also methinks you should raise to $3 or $4
(5 to 6x the big blind) before the flop or simply call and hope to flop a set. Playing nl online early on you may want to limp with only the best hands (Ax suited with position, ppairs (small and large), and the old ak. Draw cheaply to the nuts, push with sets and just pay attention to everyone else the rest of the time until you get your bearings. of course, you just got unlucky on this hand.