PDA

View Full Version : stheif said I overvalue high cards...

adamstewart
12-22-2004, 03:10 PM
With stheif's advice in mind, please give me your thoughts on this one... especially the river.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (6.66 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

pudley4
12-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Completely standard.

What do you think you did wrong?

wuwei
12-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Looks good. Let's say the turn isn't a heart and it's checked to you. Are you firing again?

adamstewart
12-22-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Completely standard.

What do you think you did wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if a river raise is in order here?

I think not, because villain may have flush. If so, he'd likely 3-bet and I'd be in a real pickle.

I guess I was just wondering if this is what stheif meant: that this is clearly not a raise on the river here.

Adam

bdk3clash
12-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Looks fine.

"i" before "e" brah.

adamstewart
12-22-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks good. Let's say the turn isn't a heart and it's checked to you. Are you firing again?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've been in the habit lately of 'firing' too often in these instances.

However, I'm trying to improve. /images/graemlins/wink.gif So, with two other's in the pot, who've both seen me raise preflop, then bet the flop, and they've both continued to call... I think I'd take the free card. I doubt firing again will win the pot right there.

Am I learning? Am I correct here?

Adam

adamstewart
12-22-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks fine.

"i" before "e" brah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah $hit.

My sincere apologies to sthief.

No one said med students were good spellers... That's why we write messy - to cover it up. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adam

MercTec
12-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Free card is probably best here. AK maybe ya bet because it has some showdown value, but AQ and i take the free card.

colgin
12-22-2004, 03:51 PM
This look fine and is very different from your ATo hand that you posted before where I think you did overvalue your overcards.

wheelz
12-22-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Free card is probably best here. AK maybe ya bet because it has some showdown value, but AQ and i take the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the difference between AQ or AK there? There was an MP limper who called the raise, and the BB defended. You can't put anyone else on AK, so If AK was going to be good at showdown here, AQ would be as well.

bernie
12-22-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering if a river raise is in order here?

I think not, because villain may have flush. If so, he'd likely 3-bet and I'd be in a real pickle.

I guess I was just wondering if this is what stheif meant: that this is clearly not a raise on the river here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this, STheif may be right.

You don't raise this river unless you have some info on your opponent. If you're thinking of raising, I might've raised the turn.

b

SinCityGuy
12-22-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If a card like the 2/images/graemlins/club.gif comes out on the turn, I'm usually firing again. There's a decent enough chance I'll win the pot, or at least get it heads up.

wuwei
12-22-2004, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
clearly not a raise on the river here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you didn't provide a read so I'm assuming you didn't have one. Without a read, what do you think is more likely? That he'd lead the turn with a flush, or that he'd lead the turn into the preflop raiser with a pair of something? I think it's significantly more likely that he has the flush, unless we have a read that says otherwise. Remember, you have to be right over 50% of the time for the raise to be +EV, and you have to fold to a 3-bet. So yah, I think this is clearly not a raise on the river.

Thinking about this a little more, and a lot of folks would c/r the flush on the turn, if they are confident you'll bet again. Or they get scared and lead it out. So maybe it's not as clear as I was thinking, but I still say you should just call.

Trix
12-22-2004, 04:48 PM
I´m close to raising the river, but it´s probably slightly better not to do it.