PDA

View Full Version : Totally OT WinXP question

CountDuckula
12-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Hey, I'm a Linux guy, gimme a break! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, I have a WinXP system set up to dual-boot with Linux (Red Hat 9). Because of various obnoxious stuff my company is doing in the name of security, it will be much easier to use XP to connect to the corporate network from home (I'd been using Linux up to now, but that's not very well supported by the corporate Gestapo under the new regulations and procedures; it can be done, but it's more painful). However, I don't really want to load the company's idea of security software on my own personal XP system (I have my own that I trust much more).

This brings me (finally!) to my question: Is it possible to partition my 2nd hard drive (which is dedicated to Linux at the moment) and install XP on the new partition, without having to reactivate or buy a second XP license? It will be exactly the same computer, just a different disk. Also, can I completely isolate my work XP installation and home XP installations from each other (in case I happen to catch a virus on one side, hoping it won't spread to both sides)? If need be, I'd be willing to boot one or both of them from a floppy/CD.

-Mike