PDA

View Full Version : Raise flop with AK?

deathpotato
12-22-2004, 12:53 PM
This was my third hand at the table, so I had no solid reads, but from the 6 or so hands I had seen, UTG+1 seemed to be playing and raising a lot of hands.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

River: (11.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

My thinking on the flop was that I'd rather wait till the turn to raise, as I was only worried at all about a 4 or a 7, and if I raised the flop he would most likely slow down before putting much into the pot. Is this wrongheaded or on the right track? Obviously, comments on other streets would be great as well! Thanks.

GrunchCan
12-22-2004, 01:05 PM
I'd say that becasue there is 1 passive caller between you and the flop raiser, weather or not to raise the flop is break-even. If there were more opponents betwen you, raising the flop wouild be correct. If there were opponents behind you or in front of UTG+1, waiting for the turn is probably better.

Another thing to consider however is the fact that UTG+1 bet in to the preflop raiser, indicating he hit a good hand. The only hand that seems likely is a suited K or something like KT, but you never know. If you have the better hand (usually true), you will often entice action on the flop from UTG+1 by raising and re-raising. If he's got you beat with something like a set, he's going to shove you against the wall on the turn after you raise the flop, and you will know when it's time to slow down or get away.

So, based on all this, I say forget about extracting from the man trapped in the middle and raise the flop. This is my standard line all the time, and I deviate from this only with a real good reason.

Edit: Welcome to the forums.