PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of folding JJ pre-flop.....

citizenkn
12-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Party $2-$4

Hero is on the button with J /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

King Of Passives is UTG and raises. I look in PT and see these stats:

Hands 110
VP$IP: 57.17%
PFR: 0.0% (!!!!)
Known hands include: AK, JJ, AJ

So given his extreme passiveness, even with some strong starting hands, do you fold JJ to this pre-flop UTG raise?

djoyce003
12-22-2004, 10:58 AM
It depends on who else calls. If you get 3 or 4 callers then it's probably worth it to take a flyer and see if you can flop a set. If an A or K falls then maybe you need to start worrying about 3 of a kind. But if no big cards fall and you spike your set then you can go to war.

Danenania
Yes, I would fold, unless there were coldcallers between us in which case I would call and spike a set. Otherwise I see no reason to play.

splashpot
But the number of hands you have on your opponent is so small. I'd re-raise, you have position on him too.

Danenania
12-22-2004, 11:01 AM
But despite the small sample we can pretty easily deduce from the known hands and 0 pfr that this guy has QQ at minimum. He doesn't raise JJ or AK.

splashpot
12-22-2004, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But despite the small sample we can pretty easily deduce from the known hands and 0 pfr that this guy has QQ at minimum. He doesn't raise JJ or AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken, but you can't automatically deduce that he has at least QQ. Lets say the time he had AK, he was middle position. UTG raises, UTG+1 makes it 3 small bets. Knowing that the two early players still have the rest of the table ahead of them, and they still raised, I'd put at least one of them on a high pair. In this case I would just call instead of capping. All I'm saying is that with only 110 hands to look at, you can't just automatically assume that he has QQ or higher.

Evan
12-22-2004, 11:12 AM
This all depends on how good you are at flopping.

Seriously, fold. Even if this is the rando time that he got drazy and raised with AK you're giving up very even if you knew his cards.

Danenania
12-22-2004, 11:15 AM
That's true. Still no reason to get entangled though. The pot is small. The odds are long. Let it go.

StellarWind
12-22-2004, 11:47 AM
I assume it folded to you after he raised?

Easy fold. It would be a mistake to have too much faith that we know his exact UTG requirements given the small amount of data. Fortunately we don't need to do that to make a decision. If this situation came up many times versus different players with these stats, we would find ourselves facing AA-QQ (domination) much too often with AK/AQ/JJ (about equal) much of the rest of the time. Rarely would we have a good situation preflop.