PDA

View Full Version : When to switch from aggro to check-call?

Derek in NYC
12-22-2004, 10:52 AM
A recent thread got me thinking about my own play, and whether I am mindlessly aggressive on all streets rather than sensitive enough to read the board and slow down.

Obviously, I slow down when certain draws become apparent (e.g., monotone flop, two-tone flop hits third of the suit, paired board or double paired board, coordinated str8 draws, etc.) Where I think I have problems is where there are no obvious draws, and Im betting a TPTK/TPGK or an overpair hand.

Here, I bet/raise and re-raise with abandon on virtually all streets (or at least until the board gets hairy). Stinky Pete, in another thread, commented on one of my recommended plays: "You'll never get a better hand to fold with a raise here. If you raise on 4th street, you'll get reraised by better hands, and you'll fold worse hands who might try bluffing the river."

I found this comment striking, because while I've heard it often, it almost never enters my head as a consideration in the circumstances I've described. Can any of you help me recognize when I should be thinking about this? Are there any patterns to look for?

Interestingly, my flop raises are the least successful of my raises. I seem to get more successful on later streets. I tend to autocap the flop with TPTK/TPGK/overpair, and then lead on 4th street. Do others have a similar line?

FWIW, here are my stats w/r/t win% when I raise:

If I raise preflop, I win 55.7% of showdowns
If I raise on the flop, I win 49.6%
If I raise on the turn, I win 69.7%
If I raise the river, I win 75%.

How do these numbers look? (They look insanely good to me, but I wonder if I have a sample skew problem because I run pokertracker on only 1 of the 3 computers where I play. The numbers dont seem to show a leak, but I feel I might have one.)