PDA

View Full Version : Hows my line against a LAG

StuR
12-22-2004, 09:09 AM
The Villian in this hand had a VI$IP of around 65%, PFR of around 20% and I only had about 20 hands on him at the time of this hand, so no real read on post-flop aggression.

I figured I could be behind to some hands he would 3 bet with PF but I also could be ahead of a few, and when I hit the flop I felt he'd raise with anything - so I trapped the player between us for a bet.

I 3 bet to see just how strong a hand he had and get this info on a cheaper betting round. When he capped I was worried but figured that the only hands that I was losing to were AA, KK, AK, KJ (possible raising hands - but I didnt feel that he had to have these hands to raise due to his PFR%) or a fluky two pair.

On the turn a safe card came but I decided to just check call the rest of the hand (unless I improved) - I've heard a lot that this way I win the most/lose the least against the LAG because if I am ahead he is betting the hand for me and the pot was too big to fold.

Is this correct logic? Does the presence of the third player calling also change the plan - he was willing to call a total of 4 on the flop.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

Any comments???

Thanks
StuR

kenberman
12-22-2004, 09:17 AM
against a sane player, I think this line is OK.

But against a borderline maniac, I think you're probably good. I might throw in 1 more raise on the turn, and call down from there.

StuR
12-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Bump for any more comments - or just an easy hand?

jskills
12-22-2004, 12:25 PM
I could see myself playing it the exact same way given the limited read you had. If you had been sitting at the table with him for 100 hands and he showed those kinds of numbers, it might be easier to fire a reraise back at the turn.

There's no way you can fold at any point as far as I'm concerned. The problem is that even LAGs get good cards sometimes, and they play them just like they do all their other crap hands ...

prrthd
12-22-2004, 12:29 PM
First, I usually just limp in with KQ in early position, but the raise is not terrible on a loose table. I think even if CO is a LAG the cap on the flop really tells you he has a strong hand. I would guess AA KK or maybe AKs. I would say you are really behind at this point and with only three outs to maybe give you the best hand (3 Q's). I think I would fold this on the Turn, however I have been playing a little weak post flop recently.

John Paul
12-22-2004, 12:59 PM
I think you played this fine. The cap on the flop is worrisome, so I would guess he has AA or AK or trip Js. However, if you were planning to stick around the table for a while it seems very likely that you would be in situations like this alot - the LAG is aggressive and you have a good hand, so calling down for info here is not a bad idea. I think there is still a good chance you are ahead (not 50%, but enough to call given the pot odds) and finding out what the LAG had is probably +EV if it will help you in later hands.