PDA

View Full Version : pot odds

Merlyn22
12-22-2004, 07:23 AM
This is a general math/pot odds question.

If you are late in a SNG on the BB. - Someone goes all-in - what odds does the pot need to lay you to call with any two cards? Should being short, medium, or big stacked be a big part of the decision to call and how so? Also, what if someone goes all-in, there is one caller - what should you call with and for how much?

Similar scenario - You raise in LP trying to steal the blinds and someone goes over the top - (obviously this may depend on who goes over the top) but at what point is it right to call the raise with any 2 cards - how good do the pot odds need to be. Also, how does the size of your stack play into this situation. Well, short-stacked I wouldn't find myself in this situation since I would have pushed to begin with but what about medium to big stacks. I'm sure this is probably an easy question for a lot of you, but you'll have to excuse my ignorance. I just think I may be laying down in some situations when it's right for me to call.

lorinda
12-22-2004, 07:25 AM
Should being short, medium, or big stacked be a big part of the decision to call and how so?

Pot odds should be no more than a general guide as to whether you play a hand or not.

Remember that if you win all the chips, you only win half of the money.

Edit: Also, two people lose all their chips and still get money /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lori

Merlyn22
12-22-2004, 07:38 AM
I didn't mean for this question to be based on the situation of already being in the money. - More like when there are 4-6 people left.

lorinda
12-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately, you are looking for a simple answer to an incredibly complex question.

The point I tried to make should always be at the back of your mind.

Take the example where you have 88 vs a known AKo in the blinds, and the SB goes all in(he flashed his cards for the purpose of this example).

Think about that hand in the following situations.

Heads up, blinds 300-600, stacks 4000 each.

Four handed, blinds 25-50, your stack 1000, someone else has 75 chips elsewhere on table.

Ten handed in a game where you have worked out you are miles out of your depth (maybe you won a satellite and drew a horrible table)

Five handed, you're the short stack with 900 chips, blinds are 100-200

Six handed, you are the best player at the table, stacks are even and blinds are small.

Lori

betgo
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
If you have 72o, you might need about 3-1 to call a push. With Q7o, I would need less than 2-1.

In a tournament, I would make generally make the pot odds decision regardless of the consequences. In an SNG, I might fold 72o even though I was getting 3-1 pot odds if losing would probably take me out of the money.