PDA

View Full Version : Poor open ended straight play!

trentcroad
12-22-2004, 05:20 AM
Should I have raised/cap the flop? My thoughts where that I was building the pot.
Was checking the turn inconsistent with my flop play?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (12.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

afk
12-22-2004, 05:27 AM
Preflop: I usually stay away from the low suited connectors like this. But as long as you've got a few limpers to you it's probably not a huuuuuge deal in the scheme of things.

Flop: you're a bit worse than 2:1 to land this by the river. Once you lose the CO I probably just call the 3bet, though capping may or may not get you a cheap river depending on your read.

Taking the free card on the turn is good. I do it too.

Sucks you whiffed on the turn/river.

Fiddler
12-22-2004, 05:43 AM
An OESD has a 31.45% chance of hitting on the turn or river so to pump one for value you have to have at least 3 callers (2 for a flush draw) which you don't after CO folded. But you do have a backdoor flush draw which will come in around 4% of the time and if we add that to the equation you'll hit a flush or straight 35.45% of the time making the flop cap a value raise. But I am ignoring the posibility of you making your hand and being beaten...

Turn check looks fine since anyone holding a 7 or higher beats you and from the flop action it looks like someone probably has something better than that.

trentcroad
12-22-2004, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the great comments guys.
This has really helped.

I felt that this was a close call in terms of the value raise.
Thanks for the help!

Fiddler
12-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Hmm... it is early and I think I might have been of by one on the number of callers needed to pump the draws... not relevant in your case though since you didn't have to put in any extra money on the turn. Need more coffee.