PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NYC (NJ?) area, ideas?

Jon34
12-22-2004, 05:01 AM
I just graduated from college, got a good job right across the water from manhattan (in Jersey City). I'm starting in February, but I need to find a place to live. I'm basically either looking at Manhattan, or northern Jersey. I don't know an incredible amount about the area, but I've done a little cursory research so far.
I've heard that areas like hoboken have a lot of younger people who (generally speaking) commute to NYC, as it is about 30% cheaper there, and you avoid the 3.5% city tax.

The question is, is the nightlife, culture, overall experience, and well, cool factor of living in Manhattan worth the price?

An acquaintance from school (who lives in the hoboken area now and works in the city) said that there is a decent amoung of night life in northern NJ, though I could theoretically go into the city whenever I wanted, but that would require more initiative than I probably would have to do regularly.

A quick list of things I'm considering:
-cost: My job pays well, but I'm not sure I want to spend the bulk of it on just rent etc...
-commute to work
-nightlife/social life/things to do other than sit around and play poker online =^)
-its 4am so I'm sure there are tons more things I haven't thought of

If anyone out there has some advice on the matter, it would be much appreciated. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-22-2004, 05:38 AM
Wait, this is easy. Williamsburg, baby. In brooklyn, it's the hippest place since The Village. Very good night life, it's 2 minutes from Manhattan by the L Train and the rent shouldn't be that bad.

I'm so good.

Also, not the Jewish part of Williamsburg. The cool part. Like...North 4th and above. Yeah, anyway, basically the L train created a hippie haven outside of Manhattan, because of how close it is. If you drive, the williamsburg bridge is close, usually doesn't have traffic (at any time), and is free.

So yeah, hit that up.

sfer
12-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Commuting through the L to Jersey City and back for work is pretty high on the Donk-a-meter.

sfer
12-22-2004, 10:34 AM
These are questions you have to ask yourself. Like, am I the type of person who likes Manhattan enough where I'm willing to cough up extra money to live there, or am I really a suburbanite at heart.

Also, Hoboken isn't much cheaper than Manhattan, and seems very much like a big frat-party scene, if that's your gig.

Anadrol 50
12-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Hoboken is a dump! You have to decide if you want to live in the suburbs or a more urban area. If you don't want to waste a ton of cash on rent, stay away from Manhattan. Brooklyn is way too far to commute to JC. My suggestion would be to go 20 miles West and get a nice pad in the suburbs. Find a town with a train stop and take the train into JC as the traffic blows. NJ is the most densely populated state, so you don't have to worry about being in the middle of nowhere....

When you get in Jersey, let me know and I will give the 411 on the local games.

sfer
12-22-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NJ is the most densely populated state, so you don't have to worry about being in the middle of nowhere....

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in NJ and I know this isn't true. Most of the state defines "the middle of nowhere" IMO.

Evan
12-22-2004, 10:54 AM
I'm with sfer. Forcing yourself to take the L and then a PATH train every day to work would be absurd and definitely not worth living in Brooklyn.

B00T
12-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Hoboken is not a bad place to live. It is very young and there are like 100 bars in a 2 mile radius. It is very pricey figure about $1100 in month for a one bedroom with 2 roommates. Other places you could look are Edgewater (very pricey as well) anywhere in Bergen County is a trainride to the Path which takes you right into Manhattan. Look up some places in Bergen County in New Jersey. If you wanted to live in Weschester County NY the nightlife there is pretty nice and is 30 minute commute to the city.

Hoboken really isnt that bad as people make it out to be. I have a few friends that live there and they love it. I really think that is your best bet. PM me with some places/areas you have looked at and I can give you some more feedback.

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Oh, haha, I'm a penis. I totally didn't read the Jersey City thing and figured his job was in Manhattan. Therefore, ignore everything I said except the parts where Williamsburg is swell. I suck. My bad.

NJchick
12-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Do you own a car?

If not...I would opt for Hoboken. Seems you will be among your peer group for soical activities like bar hopping and other stuff.

I personally like Red Bank much better than Hoboken. But that may be too far away since you want to be in N.NJ.

sfer
12-22-2004, 12:45 PM
FWIW, Billyburg is pretty swell.

LALDAAS
12-22-2004, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just graduated from college, got a good job right across the water from manhattan (in Jersey City). I'm starting in February, but I need to find a place to live. I'm basically either looking at Manhattan, or northern Jersey. I don't know an incredible amount about the area, but I've done a little cursory research so far.
I've heard that areas like hoboken have a lot of younger people who (generally speaking) commute to NYC, as it is about 30% cheaper there, and you avoid the 3.5% city tax.

The question is, is the nightlife, culture, overall experience, and well, cool factor of living in Manhattan worth the price?

An acquaintance from school (who lives in the hoboken area now and works in the city) said that there is a decent amoung of night life in northern NJ, though I could theoretically go into the city whenever I wanted, but that would require more initiative than I probably would have to do regularly.

A quick list of things I'm considering:
-cost: My job pays well, but I'm not sure I want to spend the bulk of it on just rent etc...
-commute to work
-nightlife/social life/things to do other than sit around and play poker online =^)
-its 4am so I'm sure there are tons more things I haven't thought of

If anyone out there has some advice on the matter, it would be much appreciated. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are about to move into the one of the most expensive places to live my friend. Be prepaired. I live in Central Jersey (Union County) This area is optimal for you $$$ Rent is rediculous where ever you go!!! However the city is more so. In all seriousness I hope you are prepaired to spend at least 1100-1400 in rent for a 1 bedroom apt and up 2000+ for one in the city.

Car insurance is plain rape. Im 26 clean record no accidents or moving violations with a ford focus 2003 I pay $2200 a year.

Night life Hoboken is a blast as well as in the city there is always something to do. It will cost you though. A bottle of beer is $5-6 for a coors light to $8-9 for a Heinken. A shot for Jamenson runs me $6 and a double $12

Most mixed drinks are $8-10

A pack of smokes NJ- $6-7 NY- $7-8

If you choose Jersey It is very easy to cummute by train which is your best bet due to endless hours of traffic.

To go through the holland or the lincon it $6 I belive, to cross the GWB $6, to cross the Verizano is $8.

I could go on with this forever so I would start to reconsider what you feel is good money in this area becuase I clear 65k a year and still find it a little tough sometimes.

sfer
12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It will cost you though. A bottle of beer is $5-6 for a coors light to $8-9 for a Heinken. A shot for Jamenson runs me $6 and a double $12

[/ QUOTE ]

I know plenty of places where I get pints for $5 or less. In Manhattan. Cheap beer is easy to find in NYC.

bdk3clash
12-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Am I the only one who thinks you should live in Jersey City? Walking to work is nice, and there are neighborhoods in Jersey City that are fine (and some that aren't.) I would suggest ditching your car, if you have one. There's just no need for it in the area.

It'll be easy enough for you to head into the city to go out, etc., and if not living in Manhattan is cramping your style after a few months or a year, you can always move into the city. Young people in the New York area move a lot.

Personally, I absolutely love living in the city, but that's just me.

bdk3clash
12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Seriously. When you first are in New York you'll go to like all these first-year-associate lounges and clubs and swanky bars and stuff, which is cool but very expensive. Then you'll figure out that you can get just as drunk for a lot cheaper at normal bars.

At least, that was the drinking trajectory for me.

Paluka
12-22-2004, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously. When you first are in New York you'll go to like all these first-year-associate lounges and clubs and swanky bars and stuff, which is cool but very expensive. Then you'll figure out that you can get just as drunk for a lot cheaper at normal bars.

At least, that was the drinking trajectory for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what a first year associate bar is exactly, but it sure does sound like a bunch of douche bags hang out there.

LALDAAS
12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It will cost you though. A bottle of beer is $5-6 for a coors light to $8-9 for a Heinken. A shot for Jamenson runs me $6 and a double $12

[/ QUOTE ]

I know plenty of places where I get pints for $5 or less. In Manhattan. Cheap beer is easy to find in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but 5 beans on a draft is still expensive I can really choke them down is NJ where i live I can find $1-2 drafts even more so at happy hour.

One huge plus from NYC to NJ is closing hour. NJ 1:45am on the button NYC 3-4 am. Some times in the city you can find after hour bar opentill 6am.

slickpoppa
12-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Jon, I lived in northern NJ for 22 years, and I don't know why people are knocking Hoboken. That sounds like your best option if you want to be able to commute to work easily but still have access to things to do without a car. The night life itself in Hoboken is pretty good, but if that isnt your style you can always jump on the PATH train and be in NYC in 5 minutes. It is true that the rent in Hoboken is not that cheap, but but it is still a lot cheaper than manhattan. Most people that live there are in the same situation as you-young, but don't have a lot of money to spenf on rent in manhattan-so you should fit right in.

sfer
12-22-2004, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what a first year associate bar is exactly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Any place where the gel to hair ratio is skewed toward product.

TheJunkyardGod
12-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Have you considered Jersey City? I grew up there and while I can't say it's the nicest place to live, it's alot cheaper than NYC and hip places like Hoboken.

Also, Bayonne is nice.

And the further south you go, the cheaper it is. You can get a nice play someone like New Brunswick or something and you only have like a 20-30 minute commute to Jersey City

Jon34
12-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I've heard mixed things about Hoboken, my parents seem convinced Hoboken and Jersey City are a dump, but I don't think they've been there in 10-15 years (or more) and some people from school have said its a good place for young people to live. Are certain parts fine and others unliveable? Or is it more a matter of what you define as acceptable? Thanks.

Jon34
12-22-2004, 02:24 PM
I do have a car, but I would consider selling it if having it isn't worth the cost in insurance and parking and I find myself not using it often.

LALDAAS
12-22-2004, 02:27 PM
SELL IT!!! It is not worth the cost if you will not really need it. Unfortunatly I do where I live and it cost me around 600 a month betwen payment, insurance, gas, and maintance.

Jon34
12-22-2004, 02:37 PM
From what I can tell, it seems like that is the way to go. If I'm a quick ride from the city, public transportation can take me anywhere really. As long as I don't need it around town, it doesn't seem like a neccessity.

Jon34
12-22-2004, 02:44 PM
I've heard mixed things (at best) about living in Jersey City. The lack of a commute is appealing, and it is plenty close to the city. From what I can see on craigslist, it seems to be a little cheaper than hoboken as well.

TheJunkyardGod
12-22-2004, 02:48 PM
PM me, I can go over all the nice areas of the city, and the areas to avoid.

And the cities coming up. It used to be a total shithole. Now it's only a semi-cesspool.

turnipmonster
12-28-2004, 02:22 PM
I disagree, it is worth it because brooklyn kicks just that much ass. turnipmonsterette did the L/PATH commute for a while, and claims it was relatively painless due to the 6th ave. transfer. in fact, I submit that the commute would be far more inconvenient for sfer, and he lives in a fancy schmancy manhattan neighborhood.

--turnipmonster

turnipmonster
12-28-2004, 02:26 PM
the problem with living in jersey city is if he goes out in manhattan a lot, he's going to end up either spending half his life waiting for the PATH train at 3am or paying some cabbie a million dollars to go to jersey.

sfer
12-28-2004, 02:29 PM
You were in Greenpoint, right? If so, no way. The walk past McCarren to get to the L is like double the walk for me to get to the Path on 23rd.

BTW, my comments passed zero judgement on the quality of living in Brooklyn. I'm a big fan and can usually be found on the weekends eating at Dumont.

IndieMatty
12-28-2004, 02:43 PM
1. Jersey City
2. Hoboken - if you like the more frattish type scene.
3. Somewhere near a path train. Nothing wrong with living on 14th if you can afford it, commute should be swell.

check out www.ardorny.com (http://www.ardorny.com) for ideas on apartments.

I personally live on the Upper West Side, work on Wall St. and enjoy every minute of it, except for this whole 9 degree sh1t.

lu_hawk
12-28-2004, 02:53 PM
I didn't see anyone mention living right in JC. It's kind of on a Hoboken style growth curve right now, but it's at the point where there are some nice neighborhoods to be found but it hasn't been completely taken over by the yuppies yet. The Newport area(probably where you job is located) is very nice, but will be more costly than if you lived downtown.

If you want to go a little further west there are plenty of nice places that are more suburban if that is what you are looking for. Maybe Essex or Bergen County. It's a densely populated area so you will find something to do in northern jersey wherever you live and you can go into the city without too much trouble.

turnipmonster
12-28-2004, 03:14 PM
I forgot there was a path on 23rd /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I was in greenpoint but 5 mins from L train, graham ave.