PDA

View Full Version : AQo. General Question.

Grease
12-22-2004, 03:33 AM
AQo is such a precarious hand for me. It's a slight loser over 25k hands, which I know is nothing. I never cold call with it PF, and will only reraise a very loose raiser. Is this wrong? I raise with it PF no matter what, unless I'm in the BB and there are a lot (4 or more) limpers to me. I occasionally raise the SB with it too. Am I missing value by not 3-betting more PF? I assume calling is out of the question. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

balkii
12-22-2004, 03:43 AM
Am I missing value by not 3-betting more PF?

ehh. possibly. but thats not why you're losing with it. Your preflop strategy sounds pretty good.

I occasionally raise the SB

except for that. small blind, schmall blind, you hsould be raising it here. I would also raise it from the big blind against 4 or more limpers.

but your postflop play is the reason why you might be losing . post some hands. also you are more than likely +EV with this hand, just too small a sample size. given your preflop strategy for the hand i doubt you could mess this one up too bad postflop. I dont think you should be worried about anything.

Brash620
12-22-2004, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise with it PF no matter what, unless I'm in the BB and there are a lot (4 or more) limpers to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

With only limpers and me in the big blind I would raise with A,Qo. My logic being this: no one has show any strength thus I can assume that I hold the best hand, I want as much money in the pot as possible when the flop hits.

DataMiner
12-22-2004, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a slight loser over 25k hands, which I know is nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

After 25,000 hands at 3/6, I had netted $18.00 with AA. Don't worry about being negative with AQo.

Like balkii said, your PF strategy is fine.

But yeah, also like balkii said, post some hands and we'll let you know if you're screwing up postflop.

Malcom Reynolds
12-22-2004, 04:21 AM
With only limpers and me in the big blind I would raise with A,Qo. My logic being this: no one has show any strength thus I can assume that I hold the best hand, I want as much money in the pot as possible when the flop hits.

You are right, but if I may explain it in a more mathematical sense, you are raising because you make money immediately with your likely equity edge.

It's possible that there is another hand out there with higher equity. For example, perhaps you are against KJs while someone else has Q5 and someone else has A4 or something in a large multiway pot. KJs could have a larger equity edge than you and is making more money preflop. But that doesn't change the fact that you are making money preflop, just less than KJs.

Malcom Reynolds
12-22-2004, 04:22 AM
unless I'm in the BB and there are a lot (4 or more) limpers to me.

You're missing out on a profitable opportunity. Your raise here makes money immediately due to your likely equity edge.

cpk
12-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Possibly an anomaly. Are you getting it dealt to you as often as you should? If less often, that can cause skew.

You may not be playing them aggressively enough when they are unimproved. I made that mistake for a while after a period of "running bad." It caused me to "run worse." Or you may be too aggressive. In general if you have position you should continue to bet, but you should probably pull up on the river unless you are heads up and it looks like your opponent was on a draw. You should also raise on the flop as that will often get an unimproved AK to fold behind you.

colgin
12-22-2004, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never cold call with it PF, and will only reraise a very loose raiser. Is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right to me.

[ QUOTE ]
I raise with it PF no matter what, unless I'm in the BB and there are a lot (4 or more) limpers to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a typical online game I would always raise 4 limpers out of the BB with AQo.

[ QUOTE ]
I occasionally raise the SB with it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should also be raising out of the SB too if the pot has not yet been raised.

I don't think that explains losing with AQ however. You are either running bad with this particular hand or need to work on your post-flop play. Are you holding onto these hands for too long when you don't hit the flop perhaps?

Chris Daddy Cool
12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
no matter what you do preflop with AQ it's pretty hard to be a loser with it. postflop is where it's at.

SCfuji
12-22-2004, 09:22 AM
maybe try to look at the bigger pots you lost with the hand in pokertracker.