PDA

View Full Version : AA, a flop cap, and I get all passive

DMBFan23
12-22-2004, 02:36 AM
what's your default line against an unknown opponent? I can't really find a place to fold here, but getting three bet on the turn or river would suck.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

dealer_toe
12-22-2004, 02:44 AM
I think its an ok call down on the turn and river. You could have 3-bet the turn, but you still gain a lot of info on your unknown by calling him down. The info is good to get, especially in a medium pot.

I think you were right to call him down too because by the board pairing you could be up against trips, or 8 over 5's and he's thinking you have AK because you know at the micro's every PFR has AK!!

droolie
12-22-2004, 02:46 AM
I play this the same way. With a flop that low I worry I'm up against a set but don't fold because I've seen many players w/99 or 1010 play this way too.

DMBFan23
12-22-2004, 02:48 AM
it's funny, when that 5 came I immediately thought "oh please let me school his 83o!!!" before dismissing that holding...

DMBFan23
12-22-2004, 03:12 AM
JJ

SoCalPat
12-22-2004, 03:36 AM
Folding should never enter your mind here, especially once it gets heads up.

When he 3-bets the flop, I smooth call and nail him on the turn -- his only reasonable holdings could be he has a set or an overpair. The latter is far more likely. If he reraises here, then I slow down.

Joe Tall
12-22-2004, 03:43 AM
Often a BB like this will have a smaller overpair or a hand like A8. Call the turn and raise the river as you'll get another bet out this way and unlikely get 3-bet on the end.

Peace,
Joe Tall

afk
12-22-2004, 04:46 AM
Hey DMB,

I'd play this the same way as well. Though after looking at joe tall's comment a few times it's starting to grow on me.

DMBFan23
12-22-2004, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Often a BB like this will have a smaller overpair or a hand like A8. Call the turn and raise the river as you'll get another bet out this way and unlikely get 3-bet on the end.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I read about this concept in a spicyf post. that was the same post where he mentioned he's never really read a poker book. my lord.

I agree with afk, I think I like this.

Piiop
12-22-2004, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you folding to a 3-bet?

archmagi
12-22-2004, 10:42 AM
i think calling him down all the way is fine here. even though he might have top pair, there is also a possible straight and trips there.
Call him down and figure him out I say

frank_iii
12-22-2004, 11:05 AM
I think that 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif is extra scary. I don't think most party players will cap on an OESD or 2 pair so I'm thinking it's either a set or an overpair.

Since you were heads up after his flop 3-bet, I would have just called it and check-called all the way down. I want to show this hand down but I want to minimize my losses. I struggle with these situations myself. &lt;sigh&gt;

I don't know if I see myself raising the river, though, against an unknown.

DMBFan23
12-22-2004, 11:33 AM
in the spicyf post (which I really wish I could find now) spicy explains that on the turn, opponent will three bet hands that I beat, and so I cannot fold to a turn three bet automatically. but on the river opponent will only three bet hands that beat me, so it's safe to fold to the river three bet.

most typical party 1/2 people are reluctant to three bet the river without the nuts, or at least a set (not saying that's necessarily incorrect, just an observation)

frank_iii
12-22-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in the spicyf post (which I really wish I could find now) spicy explains that on the turn, opponent will three bet hands that I beat, and so I cannot fold to a turn three bet automatically. but on the river opponent will only three bet hands that beat me, so it's safe to fold to the river three bet.

most typical party 1/2 people are reluctant to three bet the river without the nuts, or at least a set (not saying that's necessarily incorrect, just an observation)

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point, though, the pot is 13BB. You don't think you'll win enough to justify the call?