PDA

View Full Version : Last minute x-mas shopping help (O/T)

Cubswin
12-22-2004, 01:28 AM
OK... i got a gift for everyone but my grandma and im stumped. Grandma is a no-frills, frugal/practical type except when it comes to spoiling us grandchildren. She is quite young as far as grandmas go (70 years young) but her health has gotten worse the last year... i know its gotten bad because she has quit smoking. My idea was to get her an airline gift card so she could fly out to visit me while she is still mobile enough but the airlines ive check out only sell miles at over-inflated prices. Any one got any ideas??? Help me give grandma a good gift... let the ideas fly!!!!

thanks for the help
cubs

splashpot
12-22-2004, 01:36 AM
why'd you choose to post this in an internet poker gambling forum?

Cubswin
12-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Because during the course of making 2386 posts at 2+2 I have had the privlage of making many friends here.... and because my bestest 2+2 friends, those whos opinions and ideas I value most, are more likely to read this forum and give some helpful feedback. My apologies for making an off-topic post which was clearly labeled as such.

cubs

Thythe
12-22-2004, 02:01 AM
I agree Cubs, I post all my OT here too. As for the gift, I have no idea...

JTG51
12-22-2004, 02:05 AM
How about a gift certificate to a nice restaurant? That's what I usually do for my grandparents.

splashpot
12-22-2004, 02:10 AM
I meant no offense, I was just curious, since I didn't understand how this forum would be the best way for you to get the information you need. After reading your reason, it makes perfect sense.

Cubswin
12-22-2004, 02:15 AM
That was something i was thinking about but i know grandma would want to take me out with the gift certificate and it would be hard as im in DC and shes in Chicago. Maybe ill just get her a resturant gift cert and tell her ill come home to visit her sometime this spring. I just really wish i could work out an airline tix or something else that says 'i want to spend some time with you grandma'.

cubs

Cubswin
12-22-2004, 02:18 AM
No offense taken... I just have male PMS at the moment because i need to get grandma a meaningful gift and have so little time left.... to add to that i have to wake up in 5 hours to drive the roomies girlfriend to the airport. Why am i still up??? SIGH....

cubs

JTG51
12-22-2004, 02:25 AM
She's a grandma, she can't be that busy. Just pick a date and buy tickets for her to come see you. She'll make time.

Or give her a card saying you want to pay for her to come see you, then when she gives you the date, go buy the tickets. It's the same gift whether she has the tickets in hand or not, right?

AncientPC
12-22-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why'd you choose to post this in an internet poker gambling forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why this place is called the Zoo.

Personally I never liked giving gift certificates because they're more limited in uses than money.

The plane ticket sounds like a really good idea though.

Jurollo
12-22-2004, 03:06 AM
Cubs,
I would agree with the poster to maybe on xmas tell her you are going to fly her up to see you and then buy her the tix for the specific date you two decide on. Then throw in a dinner with you when she gets there.
~Justin

jasonHoldEm
12-22-2004, 03:10 AM
Take her to vegas for a week. Make it a trip she'll never forget (binge drinking, strippers, all night gambling rampages, etc).

<font color="white"> Or just book her a flight to come see you in DC. I like my idea better though. </font>

J

Jurollo
12-22-2004, 03:14 AM
hahaha... scratch my thoughts, I'm on jason's idea as well.
~Justin

MicroBob
12-22-2004, 04:20 AM
My Grandma is 89 and going strong. Still lives on her own in WV (my grandfather passed-away 18 years ago or so).

She has requested a computer for XMas to the stunned amusement of my Dad. She has heard about this internet-thing on TV and wants to check it out. My uncle is visiting her this week and will be there to spring it on her and help teach her how to use it.

My Mom is 61 and just got her first computer a few months ago and really loves it.
I send her frequent pics of my cat or of me and my GF, etc. The whole e-mailing thing with me and some of her friends along with surfing web-MD and CNN and drudge-report and other political sites have made it very enjoyable for her.

I think my family may be a bit behind the times as I assume most elderly folks are on the internet already. But for those that aren't it's something to consider.

Cubswin
12-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Grandma just got a new computer so i was thinking about something along those lines but dont think she would get much use out of any computer add-on... she is really tech savvy for her age and always encouraged computing.. she forked out over $2000 back in the 80s for my first computer, the trusty ole apple IIe. Thats so cool that your grandma has decided to get into computers at 89 years young.

I bought both my brother/sister-in-law as well as my parents digital cameras for xmas thinking they would be a good gift as they could send me pictures of their doings as i dont get to see them quite as much as i would like.

I think ill just buy grandma the plane ticket that way she wont have any option but to come see me. I actually would take her to vegas as she can act like shes 21 at times but her lack of moblity would surely make things a bit tough. I hope her health remains well enough through the spring so she can make it out her. She has been to the doctors about 101 times in the last 3 months and they cant quite figure out what is wrong with her... or, knowing grandma, she might not be telling us the whole truth of her health situation cause she doesnt want to worry us. Anyway, thanks for the input... hopefully ill be able to keep up with grandma when she comes to visit /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cubs

Insp. Clue!So?
12-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards (frequent flyer) tickets might be what you are looking for. They are super-flexible, and Southwest will generally put you on the plane when you make the reservation even if they only have one seat left (as opposed to the capacity restrictons usually put on ff tix by the airlnes). You can find them in the classified section of many med-large papers, plus on ebay auctions, for around $300-350. That gets you two one-way tickets anywhere they fly. You can chain them together or open jaw them too, i.e. fly from San Diego to Boston, and then from Boston to Seattle on the return, using the two one-way tix. You can sometimes buy a single one way and use that as well. They also come with booklets for free drinks while on board, so if the seller is generous your granny can have a swell old time before she even touches down.

You might also want to look into senior citizen passes offered by the majors as of a couple of years ago (I haven't checked lately). You could buy one way passes for around $175 each, sold in groups of 4, for travellers over the age of 65. I'm surprised to hear no one suggested these so maybe they've gone the way of the dinosaur, but I'd at least call United, Delta, AA or whatever and ask.

Insp.

grinin
12-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Don't you think that it would be nicer if you gave her the opportunity to decide whether or not she really feels like flying? Especially since she has been ill lately.

I suggest a card with a "ticket" (printed up yourself) saying "spend a weekend with your grandson, including dinner, drinks, dancing and general hooliganism."

Please choose one:
DC or Chicago

Enter dates here: ____________________

krazyace5
12-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Grinins is a great idea, then she won't feel obligated if she if feeling under the weather.

Freakin
12-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Cubs,

It doesn't have to be through the airline. Just make her a fancy looking IOU, saying that you'll fly her out to visit on your dime. Just make sure that you pressure her to follow through, otherwise it looks like a cheap gift.

Freakin

Cubswin
12-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Just make her a fancy looking IOU, saying that you'll fly her out to visit on your dime

If only it were this easy. I have tried this before and grandma is a sneaky little devil. I gave her a dinner out IOU on a couple of occasions and she always sneaks off to the bathroom and makes sure she slips the waiter her credit card before i get a chance. She will not let me pay if i dont pay for something ahead of time.

cubs

GrannyMae
12-22-2004, 08:00 PM
buy her an open ticket.

explain that she is powerless to have it refunded and that it will expire if not used within a year.

http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/plane9.gif