PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet set up..am I missing anything??

craig r
12-22-2004, 01:19 AM
Thank you guys so much for your previous help. I just finished setting up my wireless connection. I tried making it secure by only accepting certain mac addresses and also set up 128 WEP. Is there anything else I should do to protect my internet connection and computer? Do firewalls on both PC's help? Does a linksys router come with a firewall (i think it does because it is enabled). Thanks for any help with this.

craig

eric5148
12-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Actually, I've been having some Linksys router problems. Could you link me to that other thread?

Reef
12-22-2004, 01:53 AM
I am also curious as how to make the router only accept my IP. Thanks (now if only I could find that stupid software CD the router came with)

craig r
12-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Do you have a static IP? What kind of router do you have?

craig

craig r
12-22-2004, 01:58 AM
here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1420239&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

i didn't start this thread, but this is the one i was referring to. The one i started was more about Macs.

craig

Phat Mack
12-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Does a linksys router come with a firewall (i think it does because it is enabled). Thanks for any help with this.

I think the linksys router has a web interface that allows you to set up the firewall, if it's not set up already. If you open a browser and enter the router's ip address, it should come up.

craig r
12-22-2004, 07:41 AM
It does..it says something to the effect of "enable firewall." It is enabled. My question is does the router have its own personal firewall? Thanks for the help PhatMack

craig

Phat Mack
12-22-2004, 08:16 AM
The last couple of routers I've owned had their own firewall software.

If you router says the firewall is enabled, it has a firewall, and the firewall is running. (I'm not sure if your saying it's enabled, or it has the capacity to be enabled.)

If your router has an active firewall, and if you are having problems connecting, try turning off the firewalls on the individual macs. (system preferences--sharing).

Hope I'm helping. Sounds like your router has a firewall, but I'm only guessing that it's on.

Phat Mack
12-22-2004, 08:19 AM
P.S. If you have the 128 wep enabled, it sounds like you're in good shape. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm guessing that you're not currently being hacked, just that you don't want to be.

Reef
12-22-2004, 08:20 AM
damn, I have to do some research on that

Phat Mack
12-22-2004, 08:24 AM
PPS: OK, I just read where you said that the firewall is enabled. You've got static ip addresses. You've got 128 wep. You're in good shape. Are you having any connectivity problems? If not, you're good to go.

craig r
12-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I am not currently being hacked, but when we first got the Mac, we were hacking other people's internet connection. i don't want the same to happen to me. thanks for all the help.

craig

craig r
12-22-2004, 04:14 PM
everything is fine connection wise.

i am actually suprised that i was able to do all this myself. i have never set up 2 computers on a router before. and the fact that one was a mac did not make it too much tougher.

Screw best buy for telling me that i couldn't do it on my own. they said that they should come out to do it.

craig