PDA

View Full Version : How to handle Aggro

DavidC
12-22-2004, 12:03 AM
British poker term "aggro" means a player who is berating another player, usually a fish.

Some at a .5/1 table just complained about how unfair it was that one of the fish sucked out on him on the river.

I replied, "Just remember how wonderful life is... The miracle of birth, the warmth of a cup of coffee. It doesn't matter if he rivers you. The universe is infinite."

Someone at the table chimed in, "And [censored] happens."

Fast_Johnny
12-22-2004, 01:06 AM
The warmth of a cup of coffee???

Seriously though, I like the way you tried to diffuse the situation. Nothing is worse than when a new player with an ego gets sucked out on and berates a fish until they leave. Usually, said new player is honestly trying his hardest and hasn't yet learned to appreciate the suck out.

Someone somewhere said "Dont let bad beats steam you, it's just a loan, soon enough you'll get it back... with interest..."

I can't tell you how many times I used to chant "Just a Loan, Just a Loan, Just a Loan"

But now it's like Im starting to become numb to it, I can handle a 20-30BB downswing, due to bad beats, before I notice a drop off in my game..

So i just do what it takes to keep the fish happy.

stabn
12-22-2004, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

British poker term "aggro" means a player who is berating another player, usually a fish.

Some at a .5/1 table just complained about how unfair it was that one of the fish sucked out on him on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really hate this. I had someone berating the biggest donator at my table earlier, and needed to squash it quickly without getting the fish to know why i didn't want him to leave. When you tell someone "you shouldn't have been in the pot in first place", what exactly is it you want? No loose calls? /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Frankly i love people who shouldn't be in the pot.

milesdyson
12-22-2004, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
... what exactly is it you want? No loose calls? /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Frankly i love people who shouldn't be in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's easy to say that when you're simply watching someone tilt over a bad beat, and yeah, it's good practice to try to keep the fish in the game. It's just not always easy to stay cool with taking beat after beat.

Luckily my chat just simply doesn't work... so I can't even say anything if I want to. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fast_Johnny
12-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Try the chant... "Just a Loan, Just a Loan, Just a Loan"

And if you still cant ward off the tilt, well then you just have to leave the table.

Smasharoo
12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
When I take a bad beat, I ussually say "Wow, NH, I wouldn't have had the guts to hang in there on the turn. I guess this game really does seperate the men from the boys"

Entity
12-22-2004, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I take a bad beat, I ussually say "Wow, NH, I wouldn't have had the guts to hang in there on the turn. I guess this game really does seperate the men from the boys"

[/ QUOTE ]
I've just stopped saying things entirely, because it's generally pretty transparent when I'm saying something sarcastic. I used to say "nh", but seriously -- when 83o boats up on the river against my AA that hit a nut flush, what more can I say? I'll just let them stack my chips, and consider it a loan. If I really feel the urge to type something, I realize I'm probably tilting and should leave for a bit.

Rob

revlwb
12-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I know of people (good players)that will actually get tired of being rivered and watching impossible draws that they move quickly to higher limits where other players "respect their raises". That is fine with me. It gets rid of my competition and leaves me with the fishies.

Smasharoo
12-22-2004, 07:13 PM
I know of people (good players)that will actually get tired of being rivered and watching impossible draws that they move quickly to higher limits where other players "respect their raises".

Honestly, they're generally not "good players". They're ussually "bad players" in fact if they don't understnad that bad beats make them lots of money long term.

KingOtter
12-22-2004, 07:31 PM
I still say 'nice play!' or 'good job' ... hoping the next time they get the same hand they do it again.

KO

Smasharoo
12-22-2004, 07:40 PM
I've just stopped saying things entirely, because it's generally pretty transparent when I'm saying something sarcastic.

Nah, not to people who play one outers to the river. To them it's genuine praise of their brilliant but unheralded play.

wcsherry
12-22-2004, 07:53 PM
how i react depends on the night.. if i'm already down say 40 BB and the beat is horrendous, i guarantee my chat is getting banned. /images/graemlins/mad.gif