PDA

View Full Version : $5,000 December Challenge, Days 19-21

snowbank
12-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Day 19:

First day playing at home. At about midnight, I played for about an hour and 20 minutes on my 15 inch monitor. I could only see one table at a time. It was horribly frustrating. I had to click about 4-5 times sometimes to get to the table I wanted, and never got to see if I won on a lot of hands. Ended the session down about $200. I didn't think I was going to play again until I got a new monitor. It was just too stressful. When I woke up, I decided to play again anyways. Played for about an hour and really couldn't stand it anymore. Won about $100 on the session, but I played totally different not being able to see any tables. Later that night, somehow I was able to get into properties and change the resolution, which for some reason it wouldn't let me do before. Weird. I played a great 2 hours and booked a +$400 session. I was so relieved to be able to look at the tables I wanted to see. Still plenty of overlap, but I'm used to that from school.

Day 19 stats:

+$328.40
1,442 hands
4 hours, 20 minutes

Day 20:

I was trying to have a huge day. Thought about getting in 8-10 hours in an attempt to have a $1K day again. Sat down right at midnight to get off to a good jump. Played for about 5 minutes, and lost my connection. My luck with computers is unbelievable. At school, the internet is terrible. I was hoping to get away from that at home. Guess some wire was down or something, because we had no cable or anything for about 12-16 hours. So much for having a big day.

Day 20 stats:

(-$6)
43 hands
5 minutes

Day 21:

I was bound to have a bad day sometime. First losing day of the challenge today.(2nd if you could the $6 loss yesterday when the connection failed) No cards, bad beats, etc... Just one of those days. On top of no cards, sometimes when I'm not getting anything, I try to bluff a lil too much to make up for it, and that just added on to the crappiness. Tell me what you think of this:

I have about $120, trash talkin "pro" has $550. He thinks I have been trying to bluff him on every bet I make.(maybe because I told him) I raise on the button with 9-6 hearts, he calls from the BB. Flop is 3-9-5, 2 hearts. He comes out betting $8. I raise all-in(like $115). He calls. Flips 10-10 and takes down a $240 or so pot. Anyone like that move? He thought I was a bluffer, so I thought he would call with an inferior hand like 2nd pair if that's what he had. I had top pair and flush draw. Lemme know if people think I'm an idiot for doing that, or that's a good move. I got down about $400 or so on the day, and finally I get AA. I raise it up and get re-raised pre-flop. A few more re-raises and we're all-in. Turns out he had Aces too, so I ended up losing money after the rake. /images/graemlins/mad.gif Just not my day. Knew I had to have one of these days soon enough though, because I've been lucky as far as having pretty good sessions throughout the challenge. Hopefully I can turn it around tomorrow, because I have less than a week to hit my goal because I'll be out of town for a few days. Went to see the big public school-vs. private school high school basketball rivalry, so didn't get in another session.

Day 21 stats:

(-$255.25)
672 hands
2 hours, 10 minutes

$3,179.95
13,251 hands
41 hours, 45 minutes
12 big blinds/ 100 hands
$76.17/hour

bear187
12-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Impressive. If you're making that kind of money by playing poker, why work?

Reef
12-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Is 75/hr normal for you?

ChoicestHops
12-22-2004, 02:02 AM
Good job, snowbank. Sorry about the tilt, you always seem to post very positive results.

Seriously, if you continue to hit $70/hr, keep doing what you are doing.

MrFroggyX
12-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Great work Snowbank!
Continue to log hands and you will reach the goal! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

snowbank
12-22-2004, 02:13 PM
"Is 75/hr normal for you?"

I would say that's probably a little high. This is the first time I've taken stats every day, but I would say $60-$65/hr. would probably be more attainable over the long-run for me.

snowbank
12-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks choicesthops

snowbank
12-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks froggy. where is your update??

I def. need to get a lot more hands in, because I have less than a week to get this done. I basically am going to need to have a $2,000 week.

VinnyTheFish
12-22-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I def. need to get a lot more hands in, because I have less than a week to get this done. I basically am going to need to have a $2,000 week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just play <font color="blue"> your </font> game. You have been working very hard and have a great gain. Stay on your pace.

felson
12-22-2004, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have about $120, trash talkin "pro" has $550. He thinks I have been trying to bluff him on every bet I make.(maybe because I told him) I raise on the button with 9-6 hearts, he calls from the BB. Flop is 3-9-5, 2 hearts. He comes out betting $8. I raise all-in(like $115). He calls. Flips 10-10 and takes down a $240 or so pot. Anyone like that move? He thought I was a bluffer, so I thought he would call with an inferior hand like 2nd pair if that's what he had. I had top pair and flush draw. Lemme know if people think I'm an idiot for doing that, or that's a good move.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop play is fine, but don't steal preflop with 96s if the BB thinks you're a LAG.

snowbank
12-22-2004, 04:45 PM
"The flop play is fine, but don't steal preflop with 96s if the BB thinks you're a LAG."

What if he showed his cards(10's). What's your move?

felson
12-22-2004, 05:22 PM
I assume you're talking about on the flop, then. Well, you know he's going to pay you off. I think you're a slight favorite (too lazy to run the sim), so pushing is still +EV.

On the other hand, since you're not going to semibluff him off his hand, you might as well just call and see the turn cheaply, and the river too, if the turn bet is not big. He'll pay you off if you hit. Probably that is a better line.

snowbank
12-22-2004, 07:40 PM
I think you're probably right. I got greedy and wanted his whole stack right away. I thought there was a chance he might be playing agressively with 2nd pair, and think that I was trying to bluff him with a huge bet like that.

scrub
12-23-2004, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On top of no cards, sometimes when I'm not getting anything, I try to bluff a lil too much to make up for it, and that just added on to the crappiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been moving around a lot this month and haven't gotten a chance to read all of these, but it's a very good sign that you realize this. Playing winning poker in the long run is more about being critical of yourself and controlling your emotions than anything else.

Back when I multitabled NL, bluffing too much on days when I was running poorly and didn't have the table image to get away with it was my biggest leak and it took me a long time to realize it.

Good luck on the challenge. In the end the discipline that you've shown in completing it will matter a whole lot more than whether or not you hit 5k.

scrub