PDA

View Full Version : Good laydown?

Cardzy
12-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Loose table with LAGs. UTG+2 is 27%/5% SLP-A and MP3 is LP-A (more of a total LAG after the flop).

Good laydown or should I have 3-bet the flop?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero folds.......

deacsoft
12-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Good fold? Probably.
Good raise preflop? Well,... I wouldn't.

Cardzy
12-21-2004, 11:28 PM
With 4 limpers in front of me and a loose BB player behind me I definitely think I get odds to raise this and build the pot, even if I have to fold on the flop. After all this is how I learned to beat the loosest of loose games in the first place after reading SSH (taking advantage of the tables looseness).

Anyone else think I shouldn't have raised preflop?

SoCalPat
12-21-2004, 11:33 PM
I think it's a good variance play. But no way do I raise this hand every time it comes about in this situation.

wabe
12-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Why do you see this as a raise?

As I see it, Axs and Kxs aren't going to bail for one more bet. AT/KT beats you on the ten. QJ beats you on the queen.

The potential for betting with the second-best hand is big here.

Cardzy
12-22-2004, 12:12 AM
I'm assuming your asking why I see it as a raise preflop? The point isn't to get people to bail, it is to build the pot for those times I do hit the flush draw/flush and can take advantage of the looseness of the table. At a loose table with 5 opponents coming along for the ride I pay one extra small bet preflop to increase the pot from 6 small bets to 12.

Or as Ed Miller puts it in SSH, pg. 69 "From late position, you can raise no matter how many limpers there are. Because of its flush potential, your hand plays well in a large pot."

Stork
12-22-2004, 12:14 AM
I don't like the fold, especially in a pot this big. I think you should call, and bet or raise a safe turn card. Fold if the turn is a spade, obviously.

As for the preflop raise, I didn't like it at first, so I checked my copy of SSH, and Ed actually does recommend raising this preflop in this situation...